none
"Map" missing after install

Question

• I've installed Power Map Preview after uninstalling Geoflow. The install seemed to run OK (it took two restarts) but I'm not seeing either an "Insert, Map" option or the Power Map add-in listed. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

The LoadBehavior registry key is set to three, and the other add-ins (Power Pivot, Power View and Power Query) appear as expected (both in the add-ins list and the menu options). "Microsoft Power Map" is appearing in the Control Panel programs list, but I'm seeing no sign of it in Excel. I thought uninstalling Geoflow was the right thing to do, but I'm starting to regret it.

To re-iterate, the workaround under "The Map button disappears from the Insert tab when I close Excel" in "known-issues-for-the-microsoft-power-map-preview-for-excel-HA104116685.aspx" at "http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help" does not solve my problem as the LoadBehavior registry key is already set to 3. (I can't access stag.office.microsoft.com or http://stag.office.microsoft.com/sites/production/en-us/excel-help/known-issues-for-the-microsoft-power-map-preview-for-excel-HA104116685.aspx.)

The registry keys were as specified (and I'm running 64-bit Office on
    64-bit Windows 7). Repairing Office with Online Repair option has fixed
    it (I think), I now get "Insert, Map" appearing on the ribbon (and the
    add-in appearing in the add-ins list). Now I just need to figure out how
    to get Power Map to work! (The issue here may be operator ignorance -
    when I supply geographic data I'm not getting a globe appear as would
    have happened in GeoFlow on pressing "Map It".)

Tip: before repairing Office with Online Repair option, save your Office product key!

• Edited by AussieJohn Tuesday, September 24, 2013 6:39 AM
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 12:52 PM

Answers

• I'm going to close this. The initial issue is fixed - Repairing Office with Online Repair option fixed it, I now get "Insert, Map" appearing on the ribbon (and the Power Map Preview add-in appearing in the add-ins list). But I'm still having problems with the switchable graphics drivers on my machine (with respect to Power Map Preview only, the machine is a HP laptop DV6-6137TX, and had no display issues before using Power Map Preview). By installing the Intel driver I can get Power Map Preview to display the globe. This leaves the AMD display adapter disabled. When the AMD display adapter gets sorted out (e.g. via Windows Update) then the second problem (no globe appears in Power Map Preview) recurs.

Thanks for you help.

• Marked as answer by AussieJohn Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:56 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:56 AM

All replies

• Is this still an issue?

Thanks!

Ed Price, SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Small Basic, Wiki Ninjas, Wiki)

Answer an interesting question? Create a wiki article about it!

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:19 AM
    Owner
  • "Power Map, Map" now appears on the Excel ribbon, so the reported issue of "Map" not appearing on the ribbon is fixed. I'm being a little vague because I'm not getting a map returned after submitting geography data (as it would with GeoFlow on pressing "Map It"), so my Power Map set-up may still not be healthy (but it might equally be operator ignorance, this is my first attempt at using Power Map). All other Power BI functionality including Power View Maps and Power Query has been working fine. Thanks.

I’m getting no errors on launching Power Map, and my graphic drivers are up to date, according to Device Manager. The symptom I’m getting is that the scene in any tour starts and remains blank – no globe or map appears. The machine is a HP laptop with Windows 7 x64 and DirectX is version 11. No remote desktop is involved. All components on one single physical Windows 7 workstation (laptop), so no virtualization or emulation either.

Update - 27 Sep 2013 - it looks like graphics drivers are involved here. Although Device Manager showed the two display adapters ("Mobile Intel HD Graphics" and "Radeon HD 6770M") as up-to-date (no update done on right clicking and "Update Driver Software") I found an Intel graphics driver installer which installed "Intel HD Graphics 3000" v9.17.10.3223. After this Power Map failed with an error box and emailed an error report to Microsoft. After this, running Device Manager "Update Driver Software" did do a "Mobile Intel HD Graphics" driver update and after this I got my first Power Map map. Will let you know how it looks after some further testing. Thanks.

• Edited by AussieJohn Friday, September 27, 2013 8:37 AM
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:53 AM
  • Hi John,

Thank you for the update. Please let us know if you hit any issues.

Bilgehan

Microsoft Power Map Team (MSFT)

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 12:19 AM
  • I'm going to close this. The initial issue is fixed - Repairing Office with Online Repair option fixed it, I now get "Insert, Map" appearing on the ribbon (and the Power Map Preview add-in appearing in the add-ins list). But I'm still having problems with the switchable graphics drivers on my machine (with respect to Power Map Preview only, the machine is a HP laptop DV6-6137TX, and had no display issues before using Power Map Preview). By installing the Intel driver I can get Power Map Preview to display the globe. This leaves the AMD display adapter disabled. When the AMD display adapter gets sorted out (e.g. via Windows Update) then the second problem (no globe appears in Power Map Preview) recurs.

Thanks for you help.

• Marked as answer by AussieJohn Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:56 AM
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 5:56 AM