none
NtFrs Event 13560 Windows 2008 R2

Question

• Domain includes 5 sites

4 sites have Windows 2008 R2 DCs

1 site has a Windows 2008 R2 DC (holds roles) and an old Windows 2003 DC (old primary)

Situation:  The DC that holds the roles at the main site and 3 of the other DCs are getting the following error:

The File Replication Service is deleting this computer from the replica set "DOMAIN SYSTEM VOLUME (SYSVOL SHARE)" as an attempt to recover from the error state, 
     Error status = FrsErrorMismatchedReplicaRootObjectId 
     At the next poll, which will occur in 5 minutes, this computer will be re-added to the replica set. The re-addition will trigger a full tree sync for the replica set.

This has happened once before and I did a sysvol rebuild and it fixed the issue.  There have been some connection issues between sites due to ISP problems and I am now wondering if that is causing this to happen again.  Any suggestions on how to move forward and keep this from happening again would be appreciated.

• Edited by missyd1 Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:30 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:29 PM

Answers

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd640019(v=WS.10).aspx
    This is a good reference.

As far as your scripts and policies go, you will be fine.  Raising the levels doesn't change anything really, except the ability to reinstall 2003.

Most of the alterations are done at ADPrep and when you enable specific functions, like DFSR and AD Recycle Bin.

Your basic steps will be:
    1) Remove the 2003 DC
    2) Raise the levels
    3) Migrate SYSVOL (dfsrmig /setglobalstate 0-3, following link above)

This is a pretty straight forward low risk process.

Let me know if I can help more.

- Chris Ream -

**Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.**

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 5:02 PM

All replies

• I recommend demoting and replacing your 2003 DC, raise the functional levels, then migrate Sysvol to DFS-R.

FRS is a dead technology.  

Is there anything that would prevent you from removing the 2003 DC?

Chris Ream

Saturday, February 01, 2014 4:21 PM
  • No, the 2003 server is just serving as backup DC at main site. Could you point me in the right direction for good documentation on how to migrate?  

Also, is there anything surround scripts or policies being affected by raising functional level?

Thanks!

• Edited by missyd1 Tuesday, February 04, 2014 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 3:38 PM
  • http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd640019(v=WS.10).aspx
    This is a good reference.

As far as your scripts and policies go, you will be fine.  Raising the levels doesn't change anything really, except the ability to reinstall 2003.

Most of the alterations are done at ADPrep and when you enable specific functions, like DFSR and AD Recycle Bin.

Your basic steps will be:
    1) Remove the 2003 DC
    2) Raise the levels
    3) Migrate SYSVOL (dfsrmig /setglobalstate 0-3, following link above)

This is a pretty straight forward low risk process.

Let me know if I can help more.

- Chris Ream -

**Remember, if you find a post that is helpful, or is the answer, please mark it appropriately.**

Tuesday, February 04, 2014 5:02 PM
  • How can I move to dfs for sysvol from scratch if ntfrs sysvol is not stable?

• Edited by missyd1 Friday, April 04, 2014 6:42 PM
    Friday, April 04, 2014 6:42 PM