none
SSRS report to use data from another report

Question

• Hello,

I have few reports that generate the total items delivered on every day of a month between each hr. One of the SSRS reports partial output is as shown below and this is for the month of Jan 2014 and I have 12 such reports for each month:

I want to use the values from the TOTAL row from the above report from 12 such reports and use these values in a separate report that generates a graph from these values for an entire year. My Xaxis will be the hourly time and Y axis will be the value per hour for each month. Is it possible to use these values from multiple reports? 

Thanks for your help in advance

• Edited by SQLSPUser Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:14 PM
    Thursday, January 30, 2014 8:09 PM

Answers

• Hi Sapen2,

A Reporting Services report is just used to display data. Please understand that the report data are not stored in the report itself. So, whether you can create a chart which is grouped by Hours on the category axis, depends on whether you can retrieve the summary values grouped by Hours. If all the 12 reports retrieves values from the same table or same tables joined together, in other word, the summary values grouped by Months and Hours can be returned by a single query statement, then, you can use the query to generate an appropriate dataset and create the chart based on the dataset.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:39 AM
  • Sapen2,

To add to what Mike is saying... The query you use to pull the data is likely built into the report as an imbedded dataset.  What you might consider doing is creating a Shared Dataset that both reports can use.

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi Sapen2,

A Reporting Services report is just used to display data. Please understand that the report data are not stored in the report itself. So, whether you can create a chart which is grouped by Hours on the category axis, depends on whether you can retrieve the summary values grouped by Hours. If all the 12 reports retrieves values from the same table or same tables joined together, in other word, the summary values grouped by Months and Hours can be returned by a single query statement, then, you can use the query to generate an appropriate dataset and create the chart based on the dataset.

If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,
    Mike Yin

If you have any feedback on our support, please click here

Mike Yin
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:39 AM
  • Sapen2,

To add to what Mike is saying... The query you use to pull the data is likely built into the report as an imbedded dataset.  What you might consider doing is creating a Shared Dataset that both reports can use.

Monday, February 03, 2014 2:47 PM