none
2nd Domain in your DNS Server

Question

• I have purchased domain name of sbschools.org which is my primary domain. I have purchased 2 more domain names called vikingvibe.org and vikingvibe.com. I would like my users to be able to use these last 2 domains for accessing a website only. I do not want these vikingvibe domains to appear on my computers as an option to log into or in my active directory. How would I go about adding these domains to my dns server?
    Friday, October 25, 2013 5:55 PM

Answers

• The first thing to understand is that in this context the work "domain" relates to two completely different things.

On the one hand you have the domain that your computers, users etc are members of, and this is what you see in the drop down list (depending on Windows version) when users login to a system, eg the computer is joined to the domain, the domain users, domain administrator etc. Your AD server will part of a domain, and while the name of that can commonly use a FQDN it's not necessarily required. For instance many system, in particular SBS systems would use .local, so in your example your domain would be sbschools.local. For various reasons that's not generally recommended, but hopefully makes clear what I mean.

The other type of domain is the one you use to address a computer system, for instance google.com, Microsoft.com, Hotmail.com etc. You can have as many DNS domains as you like and they act as nothing more than a pointer. It can get a little confusing since a domain of the AD domain will commonly be a DNS domain as well. When you create other domains within your local DNS setup you're simply telling the DNS server that it is authoritative for that domain, and the records for that domain (for instance www.) are kept locally.

Assuming you're looking for the two other domains to only be used internally then you simply need to add them and the required records in DNS Manager. Note, if you want them to be externally accessible then you'll likely need to get them setup on an ISP's setup so they are publically available.

To add them, open DNS Manager within Windows and expand Forward Lookup Zones. Your sbschools.org domain will most likely be listed already. Simply right click on Forward Lookup Zones and select New Zone, run through the wizard choosing the defaults (eg primary zone, store in AD etc) and when prompted for the Zone name add one of your vikingvibe domains. Once completed you'll see your domain added to the list (you may need to refresh), at which point you can add the required DNS records to point to the services you want your users to access using the domain.

Friday, October 25, 2013 7:41 PM

All replies

• The first thing to understand is that in this context the work "domain" relates to two completely different things.

On the one hand you have the domain that your computers, users etc are members of, and this is what you see in the drop down list (depending on Windows version) when users login to a system, eg the computer is joined to the domain, the domain users, domain administrator etc. Your AD server will part of a domain, and while the name of that can commonly use a FQDN it's not necessarily required. For instance many system, in particular SBS systems would use .local, so in your example your domain would be sbschools.local. For various reasons that's not generally recommended, but hopefully makes clear what I mean.

The other type of domain is the one you use to address a computer system, for instance google.com, Microsoft.com, Hotmail.com etc. You can have as many DNS domains as you like and they act as nothing more than a pointer. It can get a little confusing since a domain of the AD domain will commonly be a DNS domain as well. When you create other domains within your local DNS setup you're simply telling the DNS server that it is authoritative for that domain, and the records for that domain (for instance www.) are kept locally.

Assuming you're looking for the two other domains to only be used internally then you simply need to add them and the required records in DNS Manager. Note, if you want them to be externally accessible then you'll likely need to get them setup on an ISP's setup so they are publically available.

To add them, open DNS Manager within Windows and expand Forward Lookup Zones. Your sbschools.org domain will most likely be listed already. Simply right click on Forward Lookup Zones and select New Zone, run through the wizard choosing the defaults (eg primary zone, store in AD etc) and when prompted for the Zone name add one of your vikingvibe domains. Once completed you'll see your domain added to the list (you may need to refresh), at which point you can add the required DNS records to point to the services you want your users to access using the domain.

Friday, October 25, 2013 7:41 PM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the suggestion was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

TechNet Subscriber Support

If you are TechNet Subscription user and have any feedback on our support quality, please send your feedback here.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, October 28, 2013 5:53 AM