none
Get Month and Year

Question

• Hi all,

How would I get the following

June 2013 from the GETDATE()

I need the month in name and the full year...

Monday, June 24, 2013 11:14 PM

Answers

• Use DATENAME function, e.g.

select datename(month, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) + ' ' + STR(datename(year, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),4)

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Marked as answer by Milli_22 Monday, June 24, 2013 11:26 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 11:20 PM

All replies

• Use DATENAME function, e.g.

select datename(month, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP) + ' ' + STR(datename(year, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP),4)

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

• Marked as answer by Milli_22 Monday, June 24, 2013 11:26 PM
    Monday, June 24, 2013 11:20 PM
  • Report Period Table

Since SQL is a database language, we prefer to do look ups and not calculations. They can be optimized while temporal math messes up optimization. A useful idiom is a report period calendar that everyone uses so there is no way to get disagreements in the DML. The report period table gives a name to a range of dates that is common to the entire enterprise. 

CREATE TABLE Something_Report_Periods
    (something_report_name CHAR(10) NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY
       CHECK (something_report_name LIKE <pattern>),
     something_report_start_date DATE NOT NULL,
     something_report_end_date DATE NOT NULL,
      CONSTRAINT date_ordering
        CHECK (something_report_start_date <= something_report_end_date),
    etc);

These report periods can overlap or have gaps. I like the MySQL convention of using double zeroes for months and years, That is 'yyyy-mm-00' for a month within a year and 'yyyy-00-00' for the whole year. The advantage is that it will sort with the ISO-8601 data format required by Standard SQL. The pattern for validation is '[12][0-9][0-9][0-9]-00-00' and '[12][0-9][0-9][0-9]-[01][0-9]-00'

--CELKO-- Books in Celko Series for Morgan-Kaufmann Publishing: Analytics and OLAP in SQL / Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice Data / Measurements and Standards in SQL SQL for Smarties / SQL Programming Style / SQL Puzzles and Answers / Thinking in Sets / Trees and Hierarchies in SQL

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 1:48 AM
  • Try as below:

SELECT DATENAME(MM,GETDATE()) +SPACE(1)+CAST(YEAR(GETDATE()) AS VARCHAR) AS NEW_DATE

Thanks.

bala krishna

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 6:33 AM