i have infrastructure without AD domain, our company bought about 600 RT devices for employees, we want to manage them trough Windows Intune.
I'm new in intune and don't understand all mechanism, so I have several questions/
I find following instruction
For enrollment server checked intuneenrollment.zombieduck.org:
Then I read following:
"If you have not enabled automatic detection of a Windows Intune enrollment server, proceed to Step 3. If you have enabled automatic detection, confirm that you have set up automatic detection correctly by completing the following steps:
- Open the Windows Intune administrator console.
- In the workspace shortcuts pane, click the Administration icon.
- In the navigation pane, under Mobile Device Management , click Windows RT .
- Under Step 1: Enrollment Server Address , type the name of the verified domain, and then click Test Auto-Detection ."
So I don't really understand what i need to type in this field as i said i have no AD domain, If i understand corectly i need to register public domain , but for which purposes i need do do it? - it's gap in my understanding
Then I try to find out it and read following:
To be managed by Windows Intune, devices must first discover and enroll in the Windows Intune service. You can either enable automatic detection of a Windows Intune enrollment server, or provide the following enrollment server address to users: enterpriseenrollment-s.manage.microsoft.com.
To enable devices to automatically detect a Windows Intune enrollment server, complete the following steps:
- Verify your domain in the Windows Intune account portal.
- Create a CNAME resource record for the verified domain in the public DNS. If there is more than one verified domain, you must create a CNAME record for each domain. The CNAME resource record must contain the following information:
- Alias name: enterpriseenrollment
- Fully qualified domain name (FQDN) for the target DNS host: enterpriseenrollment.manage.microsoft.comSo as I understood
So as I understood, I need to register my domain - for example mycompany.org in public DNS and create records , Am I right?
The DNS record will make the enrollment easier for the user. If you don't have it, the Windows RT enrollment wizard will promt the user for a server name where you have to add "manage.microsoft.com".
Björn Axell MVP http://blog.advisec.com
- Marked as answer by Jon LynnMicrosoft employee, Moderator Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:20 PM