none
Windows Sync Share SyncShareSvc unable to start "General access denied error"

Question

• Hi everyone, I'm using Windows Server 2012 R2 and I got a red message under Local Server -> services section.

Windows Sync Share seems to not be able to start. When I check logs I can read this message :

The Sync Share service terminated with the following service-specific error: 
    General access denied error

So first I don't even know what is this service and what is its function and then does anyone is able to help me to understand this error ?

Thanks a lot.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Maxime Br,

Service name: SyncShareSvc;

Display name: Windows Sync Share.

The Windows Sync Share service enables client devices to sync files from a file server.

Would you please let me confirm if had installed the File and Storage Services role on the Windows Server 2012 R2, and then enabled Work Folders feature which is available in Windows Server 2012 R2 as part of the File and Storage Services role?

Regarding to Work Folders, please refer to following articles.

Work Folders Overview

Introducing Work Folders on Windows Server 2012 R2

Please open Services and navigate to Windows Sync Share service, then right click it and select Properties. In properties page, please select Log On tab and check which account this service logged on as. Was it Local Service account?

Meanwhile, please open Event Viewer and let me know the complete error message of the Sync Share service (include Source and Event ID).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Friday, May 16, 2014 2:19 PM