none
Lync 2013 Enterprise - Extracting User's contact list from an off-line SQL Database copy (Backup)

Question

• Lync 2013 Enterprise - Extracting User's contact list from an off-line SQL Database copy (Backup)

We have a situation where a user wants us to retrieve their contacts from about a month ago. We have replication on our SQL, so we have a separate offline repository where the SQL DB file copies with the good contact list for the user is located. The new Export-CSUserData Lync shell command appears that it can only export from the Live SQL DB attached to our pool. This leaves us to wonder how we can pull just the contacts for this user from our off-line backup into an XML file. We would be following this up by running a new CSUserData command to get a backup from our live DB, then merging in the lost contacts, then updating our live DB via the Update-CSUserData which in theory would give this user all of his contacts back. Is this possible? If we get official word that this is not possible, then we're open to suggestions at this point.

As a side note, we don't have a problem bringing the copied SQL online on a SQL server. We just don't want our live Lync pool to know about it, and/or interact with it in any way.

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:08 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I don't think there is any way can extract the contact list from an off-line database,unless you attach it.However,I am not sure about the impact if you bring the backup database online when the production database is working.I will do further research and anything found will let you know. Regards, Sharon

××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××××× Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question.

Thursday, July 11, 2013 9:49 AM
  • Thanks. Just clarifying that by offline, I mean that the a clone of the SQL server (with the good contact lists) which was hosting our CMS and Lync SQL will be started in an environment where it cannot contact our Live AD, any Lync servers, or the Live version of itself (powering our production Lync). In my theory, this would allow me to safely extract what I need, if I can just get the queries to do so.
    • Edited by Octavio-Admin Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:26 PM forgot a word.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Could you not restore a DC and a Lync front end to the same isolated environment? You will then have the Lync Management shell commands available. 
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Yes, I believe that this would work. However, we are part of a larger global IT team. Even though there should be no risk if performed correctly, I do not think we will get buy in on cloning one of our DC's for such an environment. I am hoping that I can get this information through SQL.
    Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:56 PM