none
Key filter not working with Managed metadata navigation when we filter the data by multiple columns

    Question

  • Hi,

    we are facing an issue where key filter functionality with managed metadata columns are not working when we try to filter with multiple columns. This is happening with only this library in a production environment.  If we created those managed metadata columns in other library we can filter the data by multiple columns.

    We have tested more by taking the template of library and delete one managed metadata column at a time but no success.

    After deleting all the managed metadata columns from the library and  we recreated all of them and key filter functionality started working.

    We are not able to find what is the reason for the issue. Can someone please suggest why the issue is getting resolved when we recreate the managed metadata columns?

    P.S. we have enable verbose but not much information in error logs.


    MCTS, MCPD Sharepoint 2010. My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful


    Saturday, July 20, 2013 1:17 AM

All replies

  • Are we dealing with a large list here?

    What happens if you add then delete a token MM column from the library (leaving all others intact), sometimes that fixes issues with other columns.

    Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:49 PM
  • Thanks Alex for your response.

    We have tried to delete one column after another to see what is the problem, but like I mentioned above once we delete all MM columns and re-add it again then it works fine. Our list having around 18K docs.


    MCTS, MCPD Sharepoint 2010. My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful

    Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:33 PM
  • Sorry, i'll be a bit more clear, the adding of a Managed Metadata column forces the other columns that already exist to be updated, deletion does not. There are some really weird edge cases which can crop up when the MM columns and that seems to fix it in some cases.

    Are the managed metadata columns indexed? Since we're in large list territory (>5k) you can get odd behaviour.

    Have you been able to replicate the environment (i.e. the same number of items with the same sorts of metadata) in a test environment and test it for issues? That would help rule out issues in one environment as opposed to architectural problems.

    Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:42 PM
  • >Are the managed metadata columns indexed? Since we're in large list territory (>5k) you can get odd behaviour.

    Yes Alex these columns are indexed. But we have a library in Production but a different site collection where we have around 45K docs but it works fine there.

    >Have you been able to replicate the environment (i.e. The same number of items with the same sorts of metadata) in a test environment and test it for issues? That would help rule out issues in one environment as opposed to architectural problems.

    Yes we have one library like mentioned above with 45k docs which works fine.

    Seems very odd behaviour


    My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com| Twitter
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful

    Monday, July 22, 2013 10:35 AM
  • As you said this seems to be a one odd incident and has affected only this library.

    Since re-adding the columns has solved the issue, then it would be safe to ignore the large list issue here.  Because we are still dealing with large list.

    If you have the logs at the time when you had the issue, you may want to re-investigate the logs again. It would be helpful if they were verbose logs.

    Wednesday, August 07, 2013 10:34 AM