none
Question about DriverGroups and DriverSelectionProfile...

Question

• Hey guys,

I'm looking to implement a few DriverGroups in my CS.ini and I just have a few questions regarding syntax. Mainly its with regards to "DriverSelectionProfile". I know I need to set it equal to "Nothing" under my model sections, but I've heard some dissenting views on including it in the top "Properties" section under [Settings]. Do I have to put it up there as well or should I just leave it off? To illustrate below are two CS.ini samples, which one is correct?

Without the "DriverSelectionProfile" Property under [Settings]:

[Settings]
    Priority=ByModel, Default
    Properties=

[ByModel]
    Subsection=Model-%Model%

[Model-Surface with Windows 8 Pro]
    DriverGroup001="Windows 8 x64\Microsoft\Surface Pro"
    DriverSelectionProfile=Nothing
    XResolution=1920
    YResolution=1080

[Default]

With the "DriverSelectionProfile" Property under [Settings]:

[Settings]
    Priority=ByModel, Default
    Properties=DriverSelectionProfile

[ByModel]
    Subsection=Model-%Model%

[Model-Surface with Windows 8 Pro]
    DriverGroup001="Windows 8 x64\Microsoft\Surface Pro"
    DriverSelectionProfile=Nothing
    XResolution=1920
    YResolution=1080

[Default]

• Edited by ZeusABJ Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:42 PM
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 5:42 PM

Answers

• I've used "DriverSelectionProfile" for years and I've never added it the Properties line. I've just keep mine under the [Default] section. 

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Friday, October 04, 2013 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:14 PM

All replies

• I've used "DriverSelectionProfile" for years and I've never added it the Properties line. I've just keep mine under the [Default] section. 

-Nick O.

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Friday, October 04, 2013 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 6:14 PM
  • Here are my methods Zeus. 

LTI/ZTI Deployments: Injecting drivers during deployment

/Andrew

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Andrew,

Thanks for responding. I'm actually a fan of your blog and have it bookmarked to check on a regular basis. I actually did look at your methods and I'm just wondering if the section where you add the task sequence entries is really necessary. From what I gather (no "ZTIGather" pun intended) it sounds like if you just set DriverSelectionProfile=Nothing (or whatever profile you want) in CS.ini there's no need to create complex selection profiles or add custom entries to task sequences. (i.e. the whole thing can be handled in CS.ini, so why complicate it by adding configuration elements in two other locations). Is there an element I'm missing here?
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:08 PM

-Nick O.

Nick,

Thanks for responding. So you are saying that you leave off "DriverSelectionProfile" on the properties line and you are able to set DriverSelectionProfile=Nothing and successfully expose your device models to *only* the folders specified in DriverGroup001, DriverGroup002, etc? You have tested and verified this?

(Sorry if these questions seem OCD or trivial, I won't have hardware to test this on until next week and I just want to make sure I've done all I can to ensure it works correctly the first time).
    Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:13 PM
  • I've been testing it and in my environment Nick's answer appears to be correct. I've marked his response as my answer.

Thanks guys!

Friday, October 04, 2013 4:18 PM
  • Thanks for responding. I'm actually a fan of your blog and have it bookmarked to check on a regular basis. I actually did look at your methods and I'm just wondering if the section where you add the task sequence entries is really necessary. From what I gather (no "ZTIGather" pun intended) it sounds like if you just set DriverSelectionProfile=Nothing (or whatever profile you want) in CS.ini there's no need to create complex selection profiles or add custom entries to task sequences. (i.e. the whole thing can be handled in CS.ini, so why complicate it by adding configuration elements in two other locations). Is there an element I'm missing here?

Indeed Zeus, many ways to fry a fish.

I usually try to demonstrate various options. Depending on the scenario one method becomes more useful than others.

Blog: http://scriptimus.wordpress.com

Monday, October 07, 2013 11:42 PM