none
Excel 2013 - Cannot complete this task with available resources

Question

• We were getting this error message when we first updated to Excel 2010. A user would select all of the cells in a workbook, try to do something with them (sort, copy/paste, etc), and Excel would crash or give the above error message about available resources. I quickly found and applied a hotfix that addressed the issue, and that was that.

Now we're having the same issue in Excel 2013 (specifically, Office 365 ProPlus click-to-run installation). Only this time, there are not hotfixes available (because it is click-to-run?) and I'm not sure where to go from here. I have a user who is selecting all of the cells in a workbook choosing the option to "Merge and Center", and Excel either freezes at that point or gives the above error message. This is a task he has done daily with these particular workbooks for the last several years without issue, that is until moving to Excel 2013.

Excel was crashing on him regularly after updating to 2013 version, so I replaced his machine with a brand new one and brand new Office installation. He has plenty of memory (machine has 6GB of RAM) and the workbook is not particularly large (a few hundred rows and few dozen columns). I do notice that when the error occurs, the memory in use by excel immediately balloons from 80MB to 1.5GB. However the machine is still using less than 50% of its available 6GB at that point.

I've disabled all add-ins, made sure we're on the latest Excel build (15.0.4517.1005). Not sure what else I can do. Any thoughts?

Shaun

Monday, July 29, 2013 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

Does it happen with a particular file or with all the files? 

Is this a shared file? If yes, have you set any password? 

Create a new file and check if it works. If it helps, then copy the contents of the file to a new file and check if it helps.

Also, here's a similar case for you to refer:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/excel-cannot-complete-this-task-with-available/4861a69a-6ce0-4c74-ad45-9012d5edf9f1?msgId=95b69652-0902-4564-9884-952e0ba54e15

Jaynet Zhang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 3:00 AM
  • Not happening with all files but is happening with multiple files (not shared).

Copying the contents of files into new files is fine as a workaround, but don't want to continually have to do this going forward. Would be better if we could identify the source of the problem. There's obviously some issue with Excel if it's complaining about available resources when there are plenty of resources available and if it's taking a 40KB file and blowing it up to 1.5GB.

Shaun

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 12:48 PM
  • Could you run another Office application when Excel 2013 hangs up?

Try to disable hardware graphics acceleration from File > Options > Advanced > Display section and disable Aero Themes (if you enabled) to check the result.

For the "hangs" and "crashes" issues, we may use ADPlus.vbs to troubleshoot:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286350/en-us

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Thursday, August 01, 2013 3:24 AM
  • Hi,
    I'm marking the reply as answer as there has been no update for a couple of days.
    If you come back to find it doesn't work for you, please reply to us and unmark the answer.

Cheers,
    Tony Chen
    Forum Support

Monday, August 05, 2013 10:08 AM
  • I have built a PowerPivot dashboard in which I have incorporated slicers. My problem is that users with whom I have shared the file get the below error prinstshot attached  while clicking on the slicers. Note that this does not happen with me. And it is not all user who are facing this issue. I have tried the following resolutions from technet but none of them have been able to help me resolve this error.

1) Repairing Office 13 on users system.

2) Emptying the temp files in  both temp folder as well as C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\

3) All user use Windows 8 with Office 2013 with 4 gb Rams'

4) Also installed all Online windows Update.

5) Powerpivot is activated also.

6) 32 bit is being used by everyone.

Friday, August 09, 2013 7:44 AM
  • Hi;

I just started having this same problem and found out that it ewas being caused by word documents that were oipen that had fields being populated by my Excel database.  Once I shut down the word docs, problem seems to have gone away.  Still don't know why there is a problem to begin with, but this was a simple workaround for me so far.

Michael "NOT a techie" Grimes

Tuesday, April 29, 2014 6:04 PM