none
Locked out of Windows

Question

• I am utilizing Windows XP Professional Edition and I switched the login screen view from the general administrator view (with no options to switch users)...to the view where you can select from multiple users.  Subsequently, I created a new user for my PC.  So there was one for myself - the Administrator - and one for a friend.  However, every time I would try to login on the new user ID, it would tell me that the password is incorrect (even though I made it very simple and tried multiple times).  So logically, I changed the password from the Administrator ID.  Still no luck.  I decided - ok - I will delete the second user entirely, and try again.  I did that and restarted the computer, thinking that it would be best for registering the new settings.  However, when I did that and was prompted to logon to my PC, it wouldn't accept the password for the Adminstrator's ID.  So now effectively, I am completely locked out of my PC.

Does anyone have an idea of how to resolve this without losing all of the data associated with the Administrator ID? 
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:15 PM

Answers

• After checking the issue, it seems this is a general Windows XP related issue. As this forum focuses on Windows SteadyState specific issues, this inquiry would best be posted to Windows XP:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/windowsxpitpro

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 6:29 AM