none
APP-V 5.0 Application Crashes after 2nd use

Question

• Greetings,

I have been testing published applications in a variety of environments and have come across a vexing error

My setup:

Sequencer - Windows 2008 R2 SP1 fully patched running App-v 5.0 Sp1. Designed per Aaron Parkers best practices.

Testing Environment one: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 fully patched running App-v 5.0 Sp1 Standard Client.

Testing Environment two: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 fully patched running App-v 5.0 Sp1 RDS Client. RDS Role, Application Server Role and Printing Role are installed to try and match the next environment

Testing Environment three: Windows 2008 R2 SP1 fully patched running App-v 5.0 Sp1 RDS Client. This is an image deployed in a Citrix PVS in XenApp 6.5. This server has a number of standard pieces of our software installed plus the required citrix software.

I am deploying the applications using standalone mode. I have the packages stored on a share and then I add/publish the package using powershell. I have read several articles indicating that publishing apps on a Citrix PVS deployed server using the stand-alone method should work.

I have tried deploying three different packages: XML Notepad, Mozilla firefox 23f and SQL Server Management Studio 2008r2.

XML Notepad works as expected in all three environments, however, Firefox and SSMS will crash the SECOND time they are run in the third (PVS) environment. Reboot the server and it will work once and then fail.

The applications work fine in environments one and two.

Firefox and SSMS both crash with a generic c0000005 error. From what I can tell MSCVR100.dll is the faulting library for Firefox and SSMS.exe is the faulting program for SQL Server Management Studio.

I have tried to eliminate the differences between a RDS and non-rds environment. I have tried to eliminate group policy as a cause. I have tried local and shared content storage. I have tried mounting the package and publishing it using the global option.

It is specific to our PVS environment, but before I build a new image from scratch I would like to see if anyone can provide a fix or let me know if I am doing something wrong. 

Thanks

Derek

• Edited by Derek Benak Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:18 PM remove unwanted duplicate text
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:17 PM

Answers

• I had same issue on PVS provisioned RDS and it's fixed by enabling Shared Content Store.

Regards,
    Vojin

• Marked as answer by Derek Benak Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:39 PM

All replies

• I had same issue on PVS provisioned RDS and it's fixed by enabling Shared Content Store.

Regards,
    Vojin

• Marked as answer by Derek Benak Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:04 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 4:39 PM
  • That fixed the issue.

I thought I had tried running it with SCS enabled, so I went back and read up on how it works and found I needed to reboot after enabling it. Obviously rebooting won't work with a streamed image so I went back and baked the setting into the image and the applications finally worked!!

Thanks for the quick response.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 6:04 PM
  • It seems that this issue is caused by PVS. I can reproduce the problem with App-V, but also with the Citrix streaming technology.

My solution was to move the cache of the products to a persistent disk.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 9:46 AM