none
Unable to switch from Windows Update to Microsoft Update

Question

• On a new Windows 7 64 bit computer I am unable to access Microsoft updates. Windows update works fine, but when I click the link to get updates for other Microsoft Products it will only take me to the screen that tells me to use the start menu to check for updates. I have also tried other links to Microsoft Update from other Microsoft webpages and end up with the same result.

I have Office 2013 Standard installed and activated, and from previous installation experience know that I should be able to access numerous updates through this method.

To verify that I am able to install updates for Office I manually downloaded and installed one Office 2013 update through the Microsoft download site.

How do I get this machine to switch to Microsoft Update?

Thursday, January 02, 2014 2:42 PM

Answers

• I finally found an answer that works in another thread:  Install Silverlight and at the end of the install process make sure that the box is checked to 'Update Silverlight and other Microsoft products'
    • Marked as answer by OwatonnaIT Friday, January 03, 2014 11:13 PM
    Friday, January 03, 2014 11:12 PM

All replies

• To enable Microsoft Update on Windows 7, open Windows Update in the control panel (eg type "update" in the start menu), then on the Windows Update window that appears, select Change settings on the left and then check the Microsoft Update checkbox to receive updates for the other software.
    Thursday, January 02, 2014 9:52 PM
  • I already looked for this method, but apparently it doesn't appear until after you do the web update for Microsoft Update.

So, unfortunately, it does not work for me.

Friday, January 03, 2014 12:57 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, I think you may had a misunderstand between these two updates installation. Here is a paragraph which talking about Use Windows Update to Check for Updates to other Microsoft Products:

By default, Windows Update can download and install updates for Windows 7 and features that are part of the operating system (such as Internet Explorer). You can also merge the functionality of Microsoft Update—a service for managing updates to Microsoft Office and several other Microsoft products—into Windows Update so that you no longer need to visit Office Online to get updates.

If you do not already have Windows Update integrated with Microsoft Update, you will see the message “Get updates for other Microsoft products” on the Windows Update home page. To enable checking for other products, click the Find Out More option shown beside this message. This will take you to the Microsoft Update site for some quick installation steps. You only need to do this once. Thereafter, the Windows Update home page will indicate that you receive updates “For Windows and other products from Microsoft Update.”

From: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff642466.aspx

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, January 03, 2014 9:50 AM
  • Thank you for your reply.

I do understand the difference, and have many times followed the path that you describe to switch from Windows Update to Microsoft Update.

On this particular machine the usual method does not work, and hence my question:

How do I get Microsoft Update to work when a)the link does not accomplish it; and b)the option is not available to check in change settings?

Friday, January 03, 2014 1:37 PM
  • I finally found an answer that works in another thread:  Install Silverlight and at the end of the install process make sure that the box is checked to 'Update Silverlight and other Microsoft products'
    • Marked as answer by OwatonnaIT Friday, January 03, 2014 11:13 PM
    Friday, January 03, 2014 11:12 PM
  • Hi,

I had this problem and finally figured out that if you update IE to 11 you can't enable this from the "find out more" link in the control panel - UNLESS you go into IE Compatibility View settings and add "microsoft.com". Then it works!

(sorry about the following rant, but it's necessary) Seriously, MS, if your own page doesn't work in IE11, maybe you should rethink IE11 a bit. So many sites need compatibility mode, and even then it's still sketchy, sometimes buttons don't work, frames are out of place, text gets smushed... I do wish IE were more user friendly. Instead we've resorted to installing Firefox and Chrome around the office so people can use the web.

Anyway, hope this helps the OP and anyone else who stumbles across this. Add microsoft.com to compatibility view, and you can enable Microsoft Update. You can remove microsoft.com from compatibility view after you are finished.

-Derek

Friday, March 28, 2014 4:58 PM
  • Friday, May 23, 2014 6:22 AM