none
Installing Windows 7 sp1 to MDT 2010

Question

• I want to import windows 7 sp1 into my MDT 2010 update1 server.  But when I do so it starts the process but fails after a short time with out an error message. It does crash the managment console.  I built the DVD I use from an ISO file that was downloaded off the MS website.

Has anybody seen this issue before?  How do I correct it?

thanks for you help

Kris

Friday, March 23, 2012 6:54 PM

Answers

• Stephan;

Thanks for you insite on this. Redoing that server wouldn't be my first choice but that would be the cleanist way to go.

Question;   If I backup all my files (i.e. drivers, operating systems etc) can I import them to the new install?

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

Yes, that's no problem at all. You can simply copy the entire folder to a different location and later copy it back. You don't actually even need to "import" anything, everything will be as it was before since it's just a simple file and folder structure; it's the scripts inside them that actually do all the magic. Once you copy the entire deploymentshare back to the re-installed server, the only thing you need to do is the following:

From the MDT workbench, open a deploymentshare and browse to the path you placed it in.

Also create a network file share that points to the location of the deploymentshare root, if you use a different sharename, make sure to make the appropriate changes in the settings of the deployment share, and config files; and recreate your bootimages.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

My Blog | Twitter: @Schwarz_Stephan | MCTS, MCITP, MCC.
    How to configure Windows RE/OEM Recovery Partition with MDT

• Marked as answer by KDSM Friday, April 06, 2012 2:05 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 7:37 AM

All replies

• Are you trying to import a WIM? How did you build? If you cannot download W7 with SP1 integrated, I would import the original W7 CD, apply Sp1 and all the latest updates, and sysprep and capture, than import the custom WIM.
    Friday, March 23, 2012 11:29 PM
  • Shrek46;

I did down load the ISO file off the microsoft web site and burn it to a DVD. So I'm not trying to inport a wim file but the full file set.

Kris Da San Martino

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:15 PM
  • Sounds like a corrupt dvd.

Try downloading PowerISO or Virtual clone to mount the ISO as a virtual drive. Then import Windows 7 SP1 into MDT.

Monday, March 26, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Andrew;

I tried the PowerISO software and it still failed on me. It seems like if you create a CD from an iso file that MDT doesn't like it. Or might there be an issue with me MDT server.   I guess I can try and create a WIM from an installed W7 sp1 to see how that works.

Kris Da San Martino

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Your best bet is to do what Shrek46 suggested, and install the SP1 package directly into your reference machine, then sysprep and capture.   If that isn't a viable option, my question would be; can you verify that the SP1 installation package works on a machine with Windows 7 already installed.  If not, Andrew is probably right, you've got a bad download.  Otherwise, could you post more information about what you're adding into your task sequence to run the SP1 install?

Nate

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Andrew;

I tried the PowerISO software and it still failed on me. It seems like if you create a CD from an iso file that MDT doesn't like it. Or might there be an issue with me MDT server.   I guess I can try and create a WIM from an installed W7 sp1 to see how that works.

Kris Da San Martino

Does the same occur when you import other Images? for example Server 2008, vanilla Win 7 etc. Does it make a difference if you copy the install.wim first on a local harddrive before you import it?

Just thinking out loud, however the crashing of the workbench makes me doubt it's actually an error of the image to be honest.

If one of these posts answered your question or issue, please click on "Mark as answer".

Thursday, March 29, 2012 12:48 AM
  • It seems to happen to any CD I try to load.

I did inport the install.wim file off the CD I wanted to use and it loaded ok but when I try to use it it says their isn't a setup program to use. So I'm still in the same boat.

I still havn't loaded windows 7 sp1 on a computer and inported it to MDT but I would expect that should work.  I will test that idea out next.

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

Friday, March 30, 2012 10:54 PM
  • Could you install the MDT workbench on a different computer, and connect to the deploymentshare from that workbench. See if the import causes the same crashing or not.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz.

Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:01 AM
  • I do have another install of MDT on a laptop that I was using for some time. I was successful in importing that same Windows 7sp1 disk on that computer.  I treid to import to my main MDT server from the deployment share on the laptop but that failed as all the others did.

Next I will try to use the laptop MDT console to inport to the main MDT server to see what results I get but it's looking more and more like the install of the MDT MMC is not correct on the main server.

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:10 PM
  • I do have another install of MDT on a laptop that I was using for some time. I was successful in importing that same Windows 7sp1 disk on that computer.  I treid to import to my main MDT server from the deployment share on the laptop but that failed as all the others did.

Next I will try to use the laptop MDT console to inport to the main MDT server to see what results I get but it's looking more and more like the install of the MDT MMC is not correct on the main server.

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well, I had a similar issue that the MMC would crash upon certain actions, eventhough it all worked fine if I connected from a different machine. Unfortunately reinstalling MDT didn't work for me, I had to reinstall the entire server to get the MMC to work again properly.

Kind regards,

Stephan Schwarz

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Stephan;

Thanks for you insite on this. Redoing that server wouldn't be my first choice but that would be the cleanist way to go.

Question;   If I backup all my files (i.e. drivers, operating systems etc) can I import them to the new install?

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

Thursday, April 05, 2012 10:55 PM
  • Stephan;

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

Yes, that's no problem at all. You can simply copy the entire folder to a different location and later copy it back. You don't actually even need to "import" anything, everything will be as it was before since it's just a simple file and folder structure; it's the scripts inside them that actually do all the magic. Once you copy the entire deploymentshare back to the re-installed server, the only thing you need to do is the following:

From the MDT workbench, open a deploymentshare and browse to the path you placed it in.

Also create a network file share that points to the location of the deploymentshare root, if you use a different sharename, make sure to make the appropriate changes in the settings of the deployment share, and config files; and recreate your bootimages.

• Marked as answer by KDSM Friday, April 06, 2012 2:05 PM
    Friday, April 06, 2012 7:37 AM
  • Stephan;

Thanks. now, I just need to find the time to do it....

Kris

Kris Da San Martino

Friday, April 06, 2012 2:06 PM