none
Need for Build and Capture or just Build?

Question

• To all:  Is there a need to run a Build and Capture Task Sequence for OSD if you have the install.wim from the Win7 install media?  Can you not simply run a Build Task Sequence?  Reason I ask is b/c following the books and various online blogs, discussions, etc instructions, we cannot finish the LAST task of capture the image to a share on the Site Server.  The last error received since making MANY adjustments to the task sequence is "Access Denied" while trying to create the file on the share ALTHOUGH I can verify that I can 1) ping the server 2) Verify during the Task Sequence setup that the account I assigned to the task can access the share.  Should I inject some sort of task in between that manually authenticates BEFORE the Capture task in the sequence runs?  Or again, do I even need to create a Build and Capture when I all I want to do is simply deploy a basic image and load a few already deployed applications in system center?
    Friday, September 27, 2013 4:37 AM

All replies

• Hi there

A ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Build and Capture task sequence requires the original Windows 7 install.wim and no longer supports traditional setup.exe installations. You don't have to use a Build and Capture task sequence and can just deploy install.wim, however there are benefits of having a 'fat' image with Tier 0 applications such as Microsoft Office installed as it is faster to deploy.

If you're getting access denied errors when capturing your image, make sure the account you have configured in the task sequence step has write permission to the destination folder. 

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:10 AM
  • Like I said during the initial build (and even in WinPE) I can verify I can access the share with the credentials supplied.  It seems the task sequence isn't using the saved credentials.
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:24 AM
  • Hmm I haven't heard of this being an issue before. The account you're using definitely has NTFS write permission to this location? 
    Friday, September 27, 2013 5:47 AM
  • Yes.

Friday, September 27, 2013 5:50 AM
  • One thing I do notice if I go back to the task scheduler and edit the "Build Capture" task sequentce, select the "Capture the Reference Machine" task, click the "Set..." button for account, the password field has WAY more characters than the one I setup, which may be masking it which is fine.  But if I simply click "Verify>>>" button and the "Test Connection" button, I get:

Friday, September 27, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Of course if I reinput the password, the verification works.  However if I go back in and test the process fails of course.  Is this what the process while in action is experiencing????
    Friday, September 27, 2013 7:04 PM
  • This is normal behaviour, have you tried creating another B&C task sequence using this same account to rule out corruption?
    Saturday, September 28, 2013 9:44 AM