none
Connecting two network segments (allowing bi-directional access)

Question

• Hello,

I have been trying to connect two physical network segments together using two routers. Router 'a' is a Netgear wireless router (192.168.1.0 Network), and the other is a Windows server 2012 R2 box with Routing and Remote Access installed (192.168.11.0 Network). I made a basic VPN using these routers, which works fine. When I am logged into the .11 network, I can ping and access services on the .1 network but not the other way around. I've looked everywhere, and could not find a solution to this problem. Can someone let me know if bidirectional communication between the two network segments is even possible? If so, how do i go about implementing the solution? Thanks for all assistance.

Mike

Friday, February 14, 2014 7:03 PM

Answers

• Sure it is. You could back the mask off to 255.255.240.0 or better yet get a single vlan capable router similar to a Cisco RV180W.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:06 PM

All replies

• Sure it is. You could back the mask off to 255.255.240.0 or better yet get a single vlan capable router similar to a Cisco RV180W.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:06 PM
  • Dave,

Thank you for the reply. Backing off on the subnet did the trick. After you've mentioned it, it made perfect sense. New tech is always good; I'm going to look into this router, and when the time is right, upgrade. Thanks again for your help.

Mike

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:38 PM
  • Good to hear. You're welcome.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Friday, February 14, 2014 10:40 PM