none
How to suspend bitlocker

Question

• Once I have disabled the default bitlocker control panel applet, there seems to be no way (other then command line) to suspend bitlocker.  Is this by design, or am I missing something.  I do not see an option to suspend bitlocker in the MBAM bitlocker applet.

Thanks

Eric

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can do this from a command prompt:

Manage-bde.exe -protectors -disable c:

This Deployment Guys Blog post explains.

Hope this helps,

David

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:04 PM
  • No offense, but did you read my post.  That is what I said.  I know I can do it from the command line, but when a user is in recovery mode, use the self service portal, it is not reasonable that they will use the command line.

So my original question still stands, is there a way other then command line to get this done?

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:10 PM
  • Whoops. Sorry, I did miss that part.

According to the TechNet document "Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)": "You can suspend BitLocker on an operating system drive to make TPM changes and operating system upgrades. On a data drive, you simply decrypt the drive."

So the Suspend button will not appear for a data drive, only for an OS drive.

Is there any chance that the encryption has not completed yet?

I see that you also posted in this TechNet thread, which is about the same subject. Unfortunately, I have no further information to add to what manojsehgal has already posted.

I will keep looking.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 9:57 PM
  • This is the OS drive.  It seems that when you hide the default bitlocker applet you loose the suspend option.  Once I run the command line to suspend, if I right click the drive, "resume bitlocker" becomes an option.
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 10:44 PM
  • According to the 'How to Hide Default BitLocker Encryption in the Windows Control Panel' document, this is by design:

The customized control panel, which is in Control Panel under System and Security, enables users to manage their PIN and passwords and to unlock drives, and hides the interface that enables administrators to decrypt a drive or to suspend or resume BitLocker drive encryption.

Hope this helps,

David

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:27 PM