none
Can't start Reporting Services Configuration Manager 2008

Question

• I have successfully installed Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP3 and Reporting Services on Windows Server 2003 R2 but can´t open the Reporting Services Configuration Manager. I get this error, anyone can tell me what is wrong or what can i do. Thanks!

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 11:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Andrei,

If I understand correctly, when you click the “Find” button in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, the error message in the screenshot occured.

At first, I would like to confirm how many Reporting Services instances are installed on the computer. Is there any SSRS instance that was installed previously but removed later? If there is any previous SSRS instance being not uninstalled completely, the reserved namespace of that instance may cause such an issue. To check whether there is a namespace left by a removed instance, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the Start and Run, type in wbemtest, and then click the Enter key.

2. Click the “Connect” button and then enter the command “root\microsoft\sqlserver\reportserver” in the namespace box.

3. Click the Connect button and then click the query button, type the query statement “Select * from __namespace” in the query box.

Through the above steps, we can see the namespace in the list. If its quantity isn’t only one, please delete the namespace according to your requirement and reopen the Reporting Services Configuration Manager.

In addition, assuming a detailed error like “Cannot connect to WMI provider” occurred at the same time. In this case, the issue may happen when some of the WMI classes are not properly registered during installation. Please follow these steps to solve the issue:

1. Open the SQL Server Report Server folder:<Install Driver>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer

2. Open the “bin” folder, copy and rename the file “reportingservices.mof”.

3. Register the file using the command: Mofcomp <Install Driver>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin\reportingservices.mof

Moreover, if you have edited the Rsreportserver.config file and have made some syntax error, it also may occur the issue.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:55 PM

All replies

• Hi Andrei,

If I understand correctly, when you click the “Find” button in the Reporting Services Configuration Manager, the error message in the screenshot occured.

At first, I would like to confirm how many Reporting Services instances are installed on the computer. Is there any SSRS instance that was installed previously but removed later? If there is any previous SSRS instance being not uninstalled completely, the reserved namespace of that instance may cause such an issue. To check whether there is a namespace left by a removed instance, please follow the steps below:

1. Click the Start and Run, type in wbemtest, and then click the Enter key.

2. Click the “Connect” button and then enter the command “root\microsoft\sqlserver\reportserver” in the namespace box.

3. Click the Connect button and then click the query button, type the query statement “Select * from __namespace” in the query box.

Through the above steps, we can see the namespace in the list. If its quantity isn’t only one, please delete the namespace according to your requirement and reopen the Reporting Services Configuration Manager.

In addition, assuming a detailed error like “Cannot connect to WMI provider” occurred at the same time. In this case, the issue may happen when some of the WMI classes are not properly registered during installation. Please follow these steps to solve the issue:

1. Open the SQL Server Report Server folder:<Install Driver>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer

2. Open the “bin” folder, copy and rename the file “reportingservices.mof”.

3. Register the file using the command: Mofcomp <Install Driver>:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer\bin\reportingservices.mof

Moreover, if you have edited the Rsreportserver.config file and have made some syntax error, it also may occur the issue.

Regards,
    Heidi Duan

Thursday, September 05, 2013 2:55 PM
  • Hi Heidi,

Indeed, after executing the query has appeared two namespace. I deleted that was not valid and has been fixed. I can open the console now.
    Thank you very much!

Thursday, September 05, 2013 10:51 PM