none
How to create a custom Authorization Activity in FIM 2010 R2

Question

• Hi,

I want to create a custom approval activity.
    We have a requirement that when a new user is created in FIM, an approval mail should be sent to his manager for creation in external source i.e. AD. If the manager rejects the request, the workflow ends and user should not get created in AD.If the manager approves the user creation request then an another request mail should be sent to the user's manager's manager for 2nd level of approval.
    If the user's manager's manager approves the request then user should get created in AD

Please share some references for creating an approval workflow activity

Is this possible using Out Of Box approval workflow ?

Thanks,
    VarunK

Monday, October 07, 2013 11:35 PM

Answers

• Sounds like you can just use the existing Approval Activity, you'll just need two of them.  Your WorkflowDefinition in the FIM Portal will have two activities then:

1. Approval Activity (Get Manager 1 Approval)
    2. Approval Activity (Get Manager 2 Approval)

You might hit trouble in the expression for resolving the 2nd level manager [//Target/Manager/Manager].  I know this to NOT work when the attribute is multi-valued but since Manager is single-valued you can still probably use it.  Pretty sure the UI won't let you do this but you can modify the XOML to get the expression in there (easy enough to do by clicking on Advanced when editing the Workflow in the FIM Portal).

CraigMartin – Edgile, Inc. – http://identitytrench.com

• Marked as answer by var9287 Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:32 PM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:16 PM

All replies

• Sounds like you can just use the existing Approval Activity, you'll just need two of them.  Your WorkflowDefinition in the FIM Portal will have two activities then:

1. Approval Activity (Get Manager 1 Approval)
    2. Approval Activity (Get Manager 2 Approval)

You might hit trouble in the expression for resolving the 2nd level manager [//Target/Manager/Manager].  I know this to NOT work when the attribute is multi-valued but since Manager is single-valued you can still probably use it.  Pretty sure the UI won't let you do this but you can modify the XOML to get the expression in there (easy enough to do by clicking on Advanced when editing the Workflow in the FIM Portal).

CraigMartin – Edgile, Inc. – http://identitytrench.com

• Marked as answer by var9287 Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:32 PM
    Tuesday, October 08, 2013 4:16 PM
  • Thanks Craig,

I will try the above approach

Can you share some code references for writing custom approval activities, I have seen some example like "Custom Logging activities" & "Update resource activity" but still we are unable to write our own approval activities

Thanks,
    VarunK

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 11:39 PM