none
How can I prioritise DPM jobs

Question

• How can I prioritise a restore job to run before other scheduled jobs in System Centre Data Protection Manager?

(FYI - DPM 2012 64 bit on Windows Server 2008 R2 Std with 16GB RAM)

Thanks

• Edited by 1Andy Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:57 PM
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:34 PM

All replies

• Hi

Restores should automatically be prioritized.  If the data source you are doing a recovery for has an ongoing synchronization or recovery point job when you trigger a restore, DPM will cancel that running job and start the recovery.  If there are other jobs running that are not associated with the data source you want to recover, I believe those jobs are left alone, but the recovery job will be scheduled ahead of other pending jobs. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply Mike.

What I found was that backup jobs already queued (Monthly to tape) where continuing to hold the tape drive in use, over multiple backup jobs, despite the fact that the restore job had already started but was waiting for the tape.  Eventually a second tape jukebox became available so I moved the tapes into the second jukebox.  Even then the restore only started after I cancelled the restore job and re-created it. 

So, alls well that ends well since I could restore the lost data, but it took far too long. I was expecting it to behave as you described. The restore job started immediately but despite tapes changing for the backup jobs, no data was restored. 

Could this have been caused by 1) The restore job was started minutes after the monthly jobs started. or 2) The restore job has already "started" and was therefore not scheduled any more.

Kind regards

Andy

Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:53 PM
  • Hi,

<snip>
    ...the restore job had already started but was waiting for the tape. 
    >snip<

So it sounds like DPM did the right action and started the restore operation, but the tape required to perform the restore was not in the library.

I think for tape restores, your experience will vary based on the following factors.

1) Is the tape needed to perform the restore present in the library and DPM knows about it.
    2) Can you insert the needed tape via IE port, or do you need to eject a magazine to insert the needed tape.
    3) Does the library have a barcode reader so a fast inventory can be done to recognize the inserter tape.
    4) If no barcode reader, does the library have multiple drives so detailed inventory can take place while other backups are in progress.

Anyhow, glad you were able to get the restore accomplished in a timely manner.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, July 05, 2013 2:14 PM