none
Concerned as to how the updates work in regards to my storage capacity? Current WSUS dbases in tightly manged (only select the apps used) mode are 10 GB easy.

Question

• Hi.

Am concerned about the downloading of updates against what seems to be a paltry 2GB capacity of storage.

I run WSUS on several client systems.  I limit the products WSUS downloads for on these systems to ONLY what is used at the client site and then limit the classifications to critical & security on auto approve.

AND STILL the WSUS database is a blimp.  Even on cleaned up WSUS databases this Chewbaka grows almost exponentially ... 6, 7 10, 15GB.  I was hoping there would be a clever link to the MS online servers so I could check box all MS apps for products, negating the need to manage and review what MS apps I need to check updates for.  But, I'm weary now on this.  If I was to set this as such (check for ALL MS product classifications), and keep my approvals the same, would I need terrabytes of storage?  How much then would that end up costing?

So, before click the "Upload" button, how much will I be downloading and how fast will I exceed 2GB?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 5:54 AM

Answers

• Hi.

Am concerned about the downloading of updates against what seems to be a paltry 2GB capacity of storage.

I run WSUS on several client systems.  I limit the products WSUS downloads for on these systems to ONLY what is used at the client site and then limit the classifications to critical & security on auto approve.

AND STILL the WSUS database is a blimp.  Even on cleaned up WSUS databases this Chewbaka grows almost exponentially ... 6, 7 10, 15GB.  I was hoping there would be a clever link to the MS online servers so I could check box all MS apps for products, negating the need to manage and review what MS apps I need to check updates for.  But, I'm weary now on this.  If I was to set this as such (check for ALL MS product classifications), and keep my approvals the same, would I need terrabytes of storage?  How much then would that end up costing?

So, before click the "Upload" button, how much will I be downloading and how fast will I exceed 2GB?

Thanks.

It seems like you have a misunderstanding about the 2GB storage. This is the amount available during the trial to deploy additional software installs or 3rd party updatesd out to Windows Intune clients, such as a full Office 2010 install or Flash updates. When you convert from trial this amount is raised to 20GB.

You are effectively using the MS Update Servers as your cloud based WSUS servers with Intune, so MS patches and updates shouldn't impact your personal storage.

regards
    Mark

http://www.intunedin.net

Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:21 AM