none
Planning for 2008 R2 and Hyper-V Implementation . . .

Question

• Hi,

I have a client that's been running Server 2003 Standard for ages.  Over the past year or so it's become evident it's long past time to upgrade - namely due to the C drive only having 12GB of space which needs to be cleaned up constantly.

The client is relatively small, about 14 users.  The server is connected to locally by about 7 of them in one location, and the rest connect over RDP/TS from the second location.  Day-to-day usage is file sharing, DNS, DHCP, and a single database app.  Exchange is hosted online through a 3rd party.

I set up a small test lab to try out Server 2012 as a replacement, and while pretty cool, I think I'm going to let it mature a little more (and give myself more time to play with it), and stick with 2008 R2 which was a breeze to set up a lab version with.

Anyway, my question:

Given that you can longer install TS/RDS on the DC role in 2012 (not sure about 2008, but not a best practice anyway), I'm trying to figure out if it's best to install a simple Hyper-V host on the new server, then virtualize the new DC and new TS/RDS upgrades?  Or set up the DC on the hardware and just virtualize the RDS?  In VMWare, which I'm more familiar with, it's pretty much defacto to set up the hypervisor on hardware, then virtualize.  Seems with Windows you have choices, just not sure what's the better route.

Any answers, blogs, guides, pointers, etc would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Monday, August 26, 2013 3:33 AM

Answers

• Hello,

see the Hyper-V server the SAME as VMWare hosts. You should NEVER run anything else on a Hyper-V host, espeically no DC role.

So use the hardware for Hyper-V and install if possible 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain, as this is recommended for faiover and redundancy and one machine as RDS for the users.

If possible have DC/DNS/GC on another machine to have real redundancy in case the Hyper-V host crashes, so at least the domain is on another hardware. If this is not an option still go with 2 VMs, if your licensing allows this.

With Windows server 2012 Standard edition you are allowed to run 2 VMs and with Datacenter unlimited VMs on the host machine where ONLY Hyper-V can be installed.

Windows Server 2008 R2 is different that way, Standard allows 1 and Enterprise up to 4 VMs and DataCenter unlimited.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    My Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/mweber/

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Hello,

correct, each connecting user to a RDS server requires a RDS Cal and either you have device or users CALs for Windows itself.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:12 AM

All replies

• Hello,

see the Hyper-V server the SAME as VMWare hosts. You should NEVER run anything else on a Hyper-V host, espeically no DC role.

So use the hardware for Hyper-V and install if possible 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain, as this is recommended for faiover and redundancy and one machine as RDS for the users.

If possible have DC/DNS/GC on another machine to have real redundancy in case the Hyper-V host crashes, so at least the domain is on another hardware. If this is not an option still go with 2 VMs, if your licensing allows this.

With Windows server 2012 Standard edition you are allowed to run 2 VMs and with Datacenter unlimited VMs on the host machine where ONLY Hyper-V can be installed.

Windows Server 2008 R2 is different that way, Standard allows 1 and Enterprise up to 4 VMs and DataCenter unlimited.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:42 AM
  • Haven't done any licensing purchases yet or anything - that will come with the proposal.  Thanks for the info though!.  From a CAL standpoint, it would need to be 15 USER CALs, then 15 RDS CALs, correct?
    Monday, August 26, 2013 2:11 PM
  • Hello,

correct, each connecting user to a RDS server requires a RDS Cal and either you have device or users CALs for Windows itself.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
    MVP, MCP, MCTS

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 9:12 AM