none
Fishing points

General discussion

• Hi,

I don’t really know if this is the right place to discuss of that but… I noticed that, past a delay, if no reply has been noted as “answer” somebody (most probably the author at the reply) marks it as an answer. This occurs a few times to me. I think that the only person who is able to judge this is the one who wrote the initial question. If his problem is solved or proven that it can’t be, this is an answer. This practice issues probably from the will to accumulate points but has the negative effect of “closing” the thread for which the author still expects a solution.

I wonder ifi this an approvedbehavior?

With my regards,

Bernard

BB

• Edited by BerBuz Monday, September 09, 2013 8:49 AM grammar
    Monday, September 09, 2013 8:48 AM

All replies

• Nobody except the asker and moderators can mark a response as the answer. So perhaps you are seeing the action of an moderator. In the upcoming forum update, the information as to who marked (or proposed) an answer will be displayed (as it used to be before the redesign).

Note that the asker (or moderators) can also unmark a post as answer, and you should do that if you think a response to one of your questions has been incorrectly marked as answer.

Anybody except the asker can propose a response as answer (including, unfortunately IMHO, the responder).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP

Monday, September 09, 2013 9:50 AM
  • Thank you David,

It seems than that the moderators doesn’t like to see unanswered threads. Can understand this. Next time I’ll unmark the incorrect answers.

Regards

Bernard

BB

Monday, September 09, 2013 10:18 AM
  • I suggest following up any unmarking of an answer by replying with a comment stating why you think it does not adequately answer your question so that you can build up a discussion about the issue.

Monday, September 09, 2013 1:03 PM
  • It was the case Wyck, I always reply to those who were kind enough to waste their precious time replying to me. Anyway; I know how to behave from now on.

Kind regards,

Bernard

BB

Monday, September 09, 2013 2:10 PM
  • Nobody except the asker and moderators can mark a response as the answer.

Correction - in addition to moderators and administrators / owners of the forum, the person with 'Answerer' status can also mark the answers (and unmark them).

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Monday, September 09, 2013 5:47 PM
  • I would also add that no one gets points for marking answers. Only the person whose reply was marked would get points. However the "marker" does get credit toward "Curator" achievements. Even then, I believe they only get credit if they mark a reply that is not their own.

The desired result is always for the OP to mark the answer, but the OP often never marks or replies. The advice I've seen for moderators is to first mark a proposed answer. This serves as a suggestion and perhaps a nudge to the OP. Then the moderator should wait 7 days before marking an answer. This makes moderating more difficult, especially in forums with a lot of activity. The OP can always unmark, and the moderator should never take offense.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:49 PM
  • What do you exactly mean by "answerer status", the person who wrote the answer or a status given by the forum authority like moderator etc.?

BB

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Agree with your point of view.

BB

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 8:17 AM
  • What do you exactly mean by "answerer status", the person who wrote the answer or a status given by the forum authority like moderator etc.?

BB

Someone with answerer status can mark/unmark answers, but can't move threads or do other moderator actions. Here's an overview of the different roles:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/9380.the-different-roles-in-msdn-and-technet-forums.aspx

Don't retire TechNet! - (Maybe there's still a chance for hope, over 11,760+ strong and growing)

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 12:38 PM