none
Services disabled after failed Windows Update

Question

• I am running windows server 2008 Enterprise and tried to update to SP2. It hang on Configuring update 3 of 3 for hours so killed it, Started on Safe Mode and it worked. Now when I login Normal  to my computer , all my services IIS, WAS, W3SVC, Windows Installer, IE and services.msc will not come up. I am unable to Install anything. Any help please. I can't even get the services console to show the services so I can manually start them

Ebenezer

• Edited by denkyira Monday, November 18, 2013 5:16 PM
    Monday, November 18, 2013 5:14 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to perform a System Restore to check the result. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet Library article:

Recovering Your Server
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/494ff831-ddb7-4c50-aa3d-19c8deb84efb

If it does not work, please also perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

To perform a repair installation of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, follow these steps: 
      1. Close all the running  applications.
      2. Insert the Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
      3. In the Setup window, click Install Now.

Note If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps: 

A. Click Start, and then type Drive:\setup.exe in the Start Search box.

Note The  Drive placeholder is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
      B. In the Programs list, click Setup.exe. 
      C. In the Setup window, click Install Now.
      4. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).
      5. Type the CD key if you are prompted to do this.
      6. Select the operating system in "Install Windows" page you want to Upgrade or Inplace.
      7. Click Yes to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
      8. On the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade.

When the installation is complete, restart your computer.

For the detailed information, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by denkyira Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:33 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please try to perform a System Restore to check the result. For the detailed steps, please refer to the following Microsoft TechNet Library article:

Recovering Your Server
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/494ff831-ddb7-4c50-aa3d-19c8deb84efb

If it does not work, please also perform an In-Place upgrade to repair the system.

To perform a repair installation of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, follow these steps: 
      1. Close all the running  applications.
      2. Insert the Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2 DVD in the computer's DVD drive.
      3. In the Setup window, click Install Now.

Note If Windows does not automatically detect the DVD, follow these steps: 

A. Click Start, and then type Drive:\setup.exe in the Start Search box.

Note The  Drive placeholder is the drive letter of the computer's DVD drive.
      B. In the Programs list, click Setup.exe. 
      C. In the Setup window, click Install Now.
      4. Click Go online to obtain the latest updates for installation (recommended).
      5. Type the CD key if you are prompted to do this.
      6. Select the operating system in "Install Windows" page you want to Upgrade or Inplace.
      7. Click Yes to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms.
      8. On the Which type of installation do you want? screen, click Upgrade.

When the installation is complete, restart your computer.

For the detailed information, please also refer to the following Microsoft KB article:

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade on Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 & Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2255099

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by denkyira Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 1:33 AM
  • Thanks. I am doing upgrade from windows server 2008 Enterprise to 2008 R2 Data Center. Hope it fix my issues.

Ebenezer

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:05 AM