none
Problem Burning Data CD In Win 8 Pro

Question

• Hi, I've just done a clean install of Win 8 Pro and everything seems top have gone well but I'm having problem burning a data CD natively with Windows 8.

I put the CD-R in, choose "Burn Files To Disc", then choose "With A DVD Player" and give the disk a title, then I drag and drop the files into the burn Window -  but there's no burn button or any other way of initiating the files to be burnt to the CD.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Saturday, July 06, 2013 10:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Please follow this article to burn disc in Media Player:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/burn-cd-or-dvd-media-player

If the issue persists, try to reinstall media player for test.

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 08, 2013 6:56 AM
  • Leo,

Could you please clarify for me, does Windows 8 no longer support burning data CDs/DVDs in the manner I've described in my original post above?

The article you've linked to in your reply refers to music, pictures and video only but I'll give it a go.

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:47 AM
  • Hi,

It should be the same as Windows 7, you can refer:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/burn-a-cd-or-dvd-in-windows-explorer

Leo Huang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:53 AM
  • Leo,

Thanks for your reply, it doesn't appear to be the same as in Windows 7. I get this problem on a Dell Vostro 3560 laptop and a Dell Vostro 470 desktop, both of which I've clean installed with Win 8 Pro.

I put the CD-R in, choose "Burn Files To Disc", then choose "With A DVD Player" and give the disk a title, then I drag and drop the files into the burn Window. I click the "Share" tab and then "Burn To Disc" then get the following error:

"Windows Can't Read The Disc In Drive D:\
    Make sure that the disc uses a format that Windows recognises. If the disc is unformatted, you'll need to format it before using it."

However, I can take the same CD-R out of the Win 8 computer and put it in to a Win 7 machine and burn files to the CD from Explorer with no problem. I can also take the same CD-R out and put it in to a Win 8 machine that came pre-loaded with third party burning software and burn files to it from Explorer.

It would appear from this that Windows 8 cannot burn data CDs natively from Windows Explorer as I have the same problem on two different computers (I haven't tried burning image files yet, only Office documents)?

Monday, July 08, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Hell MSFT, I'm still waiting for a reply on this one, as a TechNet subscriber I had hoped to have a reply back before now.
    Sunday, July 14, 2013 11:27 AM