none
IS WINS USE TO REMOVE NETBIOS BROADCAST TRAFFIC

Question

• "IS WINS USE TO REMOVE NETBIOS BROADCAST TRAFFIC"

Hi All,

My New Network Engineer Suggested Me To Deploy WINS Server For Stopping Netbios broadcast,actually we use some internal application which used single pipline (name) like "sql-lhe" to connect with sql server.

We Already Have AD Integrated DNS,DHCP Server on our environment.

pls reply

Regards,

Friday, October 25, 2013 4:28 PM

Answers

•   What exactly are you asking?

Yes, installing WINS will cut down on broadcasts if you are using Netbios names. Without WINS, Netbios resolves names by broadcasting on the network. If you install WINS and make all machines WINS clients, the client machines will register with WINS and clients will resolve Netbios names by looking them up in WINS.

DNS is completely different. It does not involve Netbios or broadcasts. DNS names will be looked up in DNS.

If you have a name without a dot in the name (eg fred rather than fred.lcl) the client will try to resolve it using both methods.

Bill

Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:07 AM
  •   It isn't easy to say whether you actually need WINS or even Netbios on your network. There are lots of legacy machines/programs/utilities which may still use Netbios and will not run without it. The only realistic way to find out is to disable it on your machines and see if anything stops working!  

Bill

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:28 AM
  •   There is no point in enabling those options if you do not have a WINS server. The reason to use them is to encourage the client machines to use WINS rather than broadcasts. They will still fall back to using broadcasts if no WINS server is found.

Bill

Saturday, November 02, 2013 1:45 AM

All replies

•   What exactly are you asking?

Yes, installing WINS will cut down on broadcasts if you are using Netbios names. Without WINS, Netbios resolves names by broadcasting on the network. If you install WINS and make all machines WINS clients, the client machines will register with WINS and clients will resolve Netbios names by looking them up in WINS.

DNS is completely different. It does not involve Netbios or broadcasts. DNS names will be looked up in DNS.

If you have a name without a dot in the name (eg fred rather than fred.lcl) the client will try to resolve it using both methods.

Bill

Saturday, October 26, 2013 1:07 AM
  • actually i want to ask is WINS Necessary in our environment ?

Is WINS only one method to stop netbios broadcast ?

Sunday, October 27, 2013 3:18 PM
  •   It isn't easy to say whether you actually need WINS or even Netbios on your network. There are lots of legacy machines/programs/utilities which may still use Netbios and will not run without it. The only realistic way to find out is to disable it on your machines and see if anything stops working!  

Bill

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:28 AM
  • Quoted From :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958929.aspx

If you are using Microsoft DHCP service to configure computers that should use the services of a WINS server for name resolution, be sure to use option 44, WINS Servers, and option 46, Node Type. These DHCP options automatically configure the DHCP client as an h-node computer that directly contacts WINS servers for NetBIOS name registration and name query instead of using only broadcasts.

I checked that we do not have configure option 44 & 46

Monday, October 28, 2013 2:33 PM
  •   That is what I would suspect if you do not have WINS installed. Those options make sure that the client queries WINS rather than defaulting to broadcasts.

Bill

Monday, October 28, 2013 11:49 PM
  • Bill :

Can You pls Explain , Sorry I Do not Understand.

Do You Mean I Have to Install Wins Server then Option 44 & 46 Should Be Enabled

Or Do You Means I Do not Have WINS so i can enable 44 & 46 with out any fear ?

pls clear Thanks

Friday, November 01, 2013 2:54 PM
  •   There is no point in enabling those options if you do not have a WINS server. The reason to use them is to encourage the client machines to use WINS rather than broadcasts. They will still fall back to using broadcasts if no WINS server is found.

Bill

Saturday, November 02, 2013 1:45 AM