none
Perflib Error 1008 - Open Procedured for service Failed

Question

• Hello,

I have the following errors being raised on my Server 2012 Std server - I am getting it for a handful (4) different ones (lsa, bits, wmiaprpl, and .netFramework)

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Perflib
    Date:          25/09/2013 11:13:21 a.m.
    Event ID:      1008
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      SERVERNAME
    Description:
    The Open Procedure for service "Lsa" in DLL "C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll" failed. Performance data for this service will not be available. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the error code.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Perflib" Guid="{13B197BD-7CEE-4B4E-8DD0-59314CE374CE}" EventSourceName="Perflib" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="49152">1008</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2013-09-24T23:13:21.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>25117</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="0" ThreadID="0" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>SERVERNAME</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <UserData>
        <EventXML xmlns="Perflib">
          <param1>Lsa</param1>
          <param2>C:\Windows\System32\Secur32.dll</param2>
          <binaryDataSize>8</binaryDataSize>
          <binaryData>0500000000000000</binaryData>
        </EventXML>
      </UserData>
    </Event>

I have completed a search and found only one that applies, however nothing ever filed as a solution.

All of the things I have found on the web for rebuilding perf counter libraries appear to be for versions before 2012.

Any ideas how I can overcome these errors?

Thanks

Troy

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 12:14 AM

Answers

• Hi Troy,

Performance counters, including those built in to the operating system and those provided by non-Microsoft vendors, are combined in the Performance Library. Performance monitoring applications such as Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor use the Performance Library to identify available counters and map to counter providers. Errors accessing the Performance Library may result in application errors when expected data cannot be found, or when expected data providers are unavailable.

To resolve this issue, we may follow the following steps to reload a performance library.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, type cd %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 and then press ENTER.

4. At the command prompt, type lodctr:\<ini file>, where <ini file> is the .ini file for the library that you want to reload.

Regarding Event ID 1008, the article below may be referred to for more information.

Event ID 1008 — Performance Library Availability

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774913(WS.10).aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:50 AM

All replies

• Hi Troy,

Performance counters, including those built in to the operating system and those provided by non-Microsoft vendors, are combined in the Performance Library. Performance monitoring applications such as Windows Reliability and Performance Monitor use the Performance Library to identify available counters and map to counter providers. Errors accessing the Performance Library may result in application errors when expected data cannot be found, or when expected data providers are unavailable.

To resolve this issue, we may follow the following steps to reload a performance library.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories.

2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

3. At the command prompt, type cd %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 and then press ENTER.

4. At the command prompt, type lodctr:\<ini file>, where <ini file> is the .ini file for the library that you want to reload.

Regarding Event ID 1008, the article below may be referred to for more information.

Event ID 1008 — Performance Library Availability

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774913(WS.10).aspx

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Thursday, September 26, 2013 4:50 AM
  • It's important to note, that at least for Server 2012/2012 R2, the syntax is as follows:

lodctr <filename>

No colon, no slash.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh875560.aspx

Brian Brehart Network Administrator SurePayroll, Inc.

• Edited by centre21 Tuesday, February 04, 2014 8:00 PM Left out words
    Tuesday, February 04, 2014 7:59 PM
  • Thanks Brian,

Your post was very helpful as I was using the ":\"

Ryan

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:33 PM
  • Hello Frank,

Showing me Syntax incorrect for lodctr:\<ini file>. What is the right Syntax?
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 6:18 AM