none
Wsus role and feature addition on 2012 R2 fails to install logging this message:

Question

• Fatal Error: Cannot start service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID on computer '.'.

The specified account has not been given login as a service right.

Now, I'm assuming they create that goofy named account to run the instance of the internal db, but they have apparently forgot to add automation to set the right to logon as a service. This is a bug, I have the same results on two different server 2012 R2 installs. Is there a manual fix for this somewhere I can try? Very irritating.

Thursday, June 26, 2014 4:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

>>Fatal Error: Cannot start service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID on computer '.'.

>>The specified account has not been given login as a service right.

Regarding this error, we can refer to the following article to troubleshoot.

"MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID service was unable to log on as NT SERVICE\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID" error when you install WID in Windows Server 2012

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2832204

Besides, the following thread focused on the similar issue and can be referred to for more information.

WSUS roles install on Server 2012 Fails

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ae2baa1b-3aba-4d84-9a3c-0588b9a0f298/wsus-roles-install-on-server-2012-fails?forum=winserverwsus

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Friday, June 27, 2014 5:18 AM
  • > they have apparently forgot to add automation to set the right to logon
    > as a service

Are these servers member of a domain? In this case, the logon as service
    privilege might get overridden within a domain GPO...

Martin

Mal ein GUTES Buch über GPOs lesen?

NO THEY ARE NOT EVIL, if you know what you are doing: Good or bad GPOs?
    And if IT bothers me - coke bottle design refreshment :))
    Monday, June 30, 2014 10:12 AM
  • I fixed the problem by installing the windows internal database feature only. Let it fail then reboot and the NT SERVICE\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID account is apparently created. Now go into default domain policy and setup computer rights for this user to logon as a service. Once you do this, reboot, then install the windows internal database and it will complete. NOW, you can install wsus without a problem.

Ridiculous. By default all virtual accounts should be able to logon as a service. Since the account is virtual I don't understand why this would be a security problem. Please fix that.

Tuesday, July 01, 2014 4:49 PM