none
inventory fails with access denied error

Question

• I am using MAP on my Windows vista ultimate PC.When i do inventory i can get all list of PC installed with windows vista but MAP not recognizing Windows XP PC's(service pack 3). i can see wmi running in services.msc also. But MAP shows access denied error from all Windows XP PC's. Is MAP can scan for windows XP machines? or is it any error in windows XP PC's.What seetting should i make in windows XP PC's to get them in MAP tool kit?
    Wednesday, August 01, 2012 1:11 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are getting an access denied error, the you probably need to configure your firewall to allow remote administration.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, August 01, 2012 10:00 PM
  • How to configure firewall in windows XP to allow MAP to recognize it?
    Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:17 AM
  • See the Wiki artitcles on preparing your environment. I've made an article for each of the different collector technologies. Choose the article for the type of collection you are doing with MAP: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1640.microsoft-assessment-and-planning-toolkit-en-us.aspx

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, August 02, 2012 5:51 PM
  • I tried so many times by enabling WMI and i followed

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1640.microsoft-assessment-and-planning-toolkit-en-us.aspx

http://support.thycotic.com/KB/a114/enabling-wmi-ports-on-windows-client-machines.aspx

http://fix.lazyjeff.com/2011/06/allow-wmi-through-windows-firewall.html

and so many.But still inventory doesnt show any of XP machines in the network.It shows "insufficient data" for some PC and "access denied" for some other windows xp PC's.Also i have disabled the firewall on all PC.

Anyone know the solution for this?

Tuesday, September 18, 2012 1:17 PM
  • Did you try the troubleshooting steps in this Wiki article? http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10308.map-troubleshoot-wmi-failures-en-us.aspx

If so, what was the result when you used WBEMTEST? And the result of throttling MAP?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. Please VOTE as HELPFUL if the post helps you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:03 AM
  • I saw the video in the link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10308.map-troubleshoot-wmi-failures-en-us.aspx

But i didn't get what to give in namespace? does it root\cimv2 or anything else? Can u elaborate about this video?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 5:11 AM
  • WBEM (Windows Based Enterprise Management) became part of every OS starting with Windows 2000 and WBEMTEST was the tool added to test this feature and WMI is a component of WBEM. "cimv2" is one of the primary namespaces of WMI, but there is also "root\default" among others. When you want to query a remote machine you have to add that machine's host name before the namespace. For example, given a machine with the host name of "Host1", you would enter this for the namespace: \\Host1\root\cimv2

There are many classes under the cimv2 namespace, and software can add its own classess when installed, but every machine has a processor, so I chose to use the Win32_processor class for the query since I knew it was guaranteed to be there.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:13 PM
  • I gave \\pc116\root\cimv2 where pc116 is my full computer name(in right click my computer and computer name tab).In wbemtest when i give user credentials(i gave my windows user account username and password) and click on connect i got following error.(i have selected impersonate in imporsante tab and how to interpret empty password as NULL and authentification as Packet)

Number: 0x80041064
    Facility: WMI
    Description: User credentials cannot be used for local connections

What is this error mean?

If i dont give any credential then no error comes.in this i gave "select * from Win32_Processor and click on apply" in query and it has executed successfully as u shown in video.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 5:04 AM
  • Is "pc116" the MAP machine? If so, then you can't use a user name and password when trying to query the local machine and you don't need to put in the host name, so you can leave it with the default value of "root\cimv2". When trying to connect to a remote target machine from the MAP machine you would add the host name and use a user name and password.

From http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa394559.aspx

WBEM_E_LOCAL_CREDENTIALS
    2147749988 (0x80041064)

User specified a username/password/authority on a local connection. The user must use a blank username/password and rely on default security.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 10:23 PM
  • In the log file i can see some errors like

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | count | connection_context                                                      | connect_error_msg                                                                | connect_exception                                         |
       |---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
       | 2     | WmiClassesCollectionStep(GetRPCPortStatus())                            | GetRPCPortStatus.1(SocketException.SocketErrorCode = ConnectionRefused)          | -                                                         |
       | 1     | WmiClassesCollectionStep(root\SecurityCenter2)                          | ConnectToNamespaceAccessTest.1(ManagementException.ErrorCode = InvalidNamespace) | System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace  |
       | 1     | WmiClassesCollectionStep(root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement11) | ConnectToNamespaceAccessTest.1(ManagementException.ErrorCode = InvalidNamespace) | System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace  |
       | 1     | WmiClassesCollectionStep(root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement10) | ConnectToNamespaceAccessTest.1(ManagementException.ErrorCode = InvalidNamespace) | System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace  |
       | 1     | WmiClassesCollectionStep(root\Microsoft\SqlServer\ComputerManagement)   | ConnectToNamespaceAccessTest.1(ManagementException.ErrorCode = InvalidNamespace) | System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace  |

What are these errors related to and how i can solve this?

Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:28 AM
  • anyone please help me....
    Saturday, October 13, 2012 4:37 AM
  • The log info you posted does not answer my question and it does not apply to the problem you say you are having. Is "PC116" the local MAP machine or a remote target machine?

Monday, October 15, 2012 7:33 PM
  • PC116 is remote target machine.
    Wednesday, October 17, 2012 12:49 PM
  • Ok, so to recap the situation so far:

• When running MAP you get access denied errors for Windows XP machines
    • When you use WBEMTEST on the MAP machine to query one of these XP machines, you are able to connect and run a query that returns information

Is this correct so far? The next suggestion in the Wiki article is to throttle MAP because it may be saturating your network.

• Did you throttle MAP?
    • If so, what was the max value you used?
    • What was the result?

Wednesday, October 17, 2012 6:00 PM
  • i did throttling MAP.I tried using maximum value of 52 and then 30.In both cases xp PC didn't recognized by MAP. i was getting results same as old. Also all windows XP machines have windows firewall OFF.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:45 PM
  • When you use WBEMTEST on the MAP machine to query one of these XP machines, you are able to connect and run a query that returns information?

Monday, October 29, 2012 8:19 PM
  • I have done what is told in link http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/10308.map-troubleshoot-wmi-failures-en-us.aspx

But how to query XP machines from MAP machine?

What should be given in the connect field? Is it root\default or root\cimv2 or something else?

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 12:49 PM
  • I hav done another test 

In XP machine i gave root\default and in query select * from Win32_Processor in the wbemtest.

i got a error like this

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 1:28 PM
  • Now i got why i am getting access denied error.
    I tried giving namespace as \\pc48\root\cimv2 and proper username and password  in MAP machine and then gave connect. pc48 is a windows vista pc.i was able to connect.
    When i try same thing from map machine to a XP machine \\pc116\root\cimv2  (pc116 is xp machine) and username and password, and when i click on connect i got following error.

Number: 0x80070005
    Facility:Win32
    Description: Access is denied.

I am getting same error for all Windows XP machine.
    so i think this why i was getting while doing inventory in MAP for xp machine.
    how i can solve above error?Please help me..

Tuesday, November 06, 2012 12:06 PM
  • Hi Michel Switzler,

Please can u see my last three post and here and tell me what may be the error in windows xp machine?

Monday, November 26, 2012 12:42 PM
  • You have a security configuration problem on your XP machines. You can try using WMIDiag on the XP machines to see if it is able detect the permission problem. Make sure that the account you are using is in the local machine's Administrators group and that you've added the proper exceptions to the firewall.

Monday, November 26, 2012 6:50 PM
  • In this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa389284(v=vs.85).aspx#failure_to_connect it is give that "You cannot connect to a computer that is running Windows XP Home Edition."

In my network i am having windows xp home edition service pack 3. Is MAP can inventory windows xp home edition? I got confused by reading this article.

Tuesday, November 27, 2012 4:54 AM
  • No, you cannot inventory any home edition of Windows because WMI is disabled by default in those editions.

Wednesday, November 28, 2012 1:47 AM
  • If i enable WMI in windows xp home edition PC then can i do inventory?
    Wednesday, November 28, 2012 4:47 AM
  • Hi Michel Switzler,

If i enable WMI in windows xp home edition PC then can i do inventory?  

Tuesday, December 04, 2012 12:35 PM
  • In theory, yes, but this isn't a supported scenario.

Thursday, December 13, 2012 8:04 PM
  • Thank u...

So i can't do inventory for windows xp home edition.Can i  do inventory for windows xp professional from MAP?

Friday, December 14, 2012 4:49 AM