none
Few Questions : sbs2003 > 2008r2 migration

Question

• I have successfully migrated sbs2003 w/exchange to 2008r2 w/exchange in a TEST environment. 

I used Disk2VHD on the SBS 2003 box and did the migration in Hyper-V ( I had 3 days grace period on the SBS 2003 box)

Went fairly well, but I have a few questions. 

We are a bit un-easy performing this migration from the live production server and hope to leave that server as-is in case we need to back out of the migration, we could just place the physical sbs 2003 server back in the rack and power it up and be back to square one. 

We are moving the environment to virtual hyper V

1. Once I completely migrate the virtual SBS 2003 to virtual 2008r2, can I not just shut the old physical SBS box down, remove from network and introduce the new 2008r2 VHD running in hyper V to the network as the new DC/GC/Exchange. Isnt that similar or in fact a swing migration? I would be going through the entire migration including uninstalling exchange and transferring FSMO roles then shutting down the SBS box (all virtual)

I would like to perform this migration offsite ( we are 3rd party support for the company ). 

2. If there are no problems with this approach, say it takes 5 days to complete the migration / before we introduce the new server. I would have migrated a 5 day old virtual of the SBS box and the physical box would have still been in production, what is the best approach to get the exchange data up to date? 

(The physical SBS box is just the DC/GC and exchange..not a file server, and we make changes/add users to AD so the only data that would change during the 5 days would be exchange data.) 

3. The other option we discussed was to clone the physical drives in the SBS box late friday, set them aside, then start the migration on the physical SBS box like a standard migration...if it fails, we can just replace the physical drives that we cloned and be back at square one. 

Thoughts?

• Edited by lanwansc Monday, July 22, 2013 3:53 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2013 3:51 PM

Answers

All replies

• www.sbsmigration.com

It's called a swing migration and it leaves the original server intact.  I would follow that guidance.  Reintroducing the old server back into a new domain mid way would be tricky and icky.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 4:54 AM
  • we are not creating a new domain, same domain. 

I don't see any affect on booting the original SBS box back up so as long as the "new" server is offline. Noone will be on the network making any changes but us, so in the event we have issue and have to abort the project, we can just shut down hyper v and bring original server back online. 

Maybe I am missing something here...

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:04 PM
  • Swing migration doesn't create a new domain.  He has a tried and true method for ensuring that the original server can be placed back into the network should something occur.  You are introducing new items into AD that will not be there if you roll back to the old server.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:48 PM
  • I dont think you understand..there is only 1 domain controller on the network, that is SBS..aborting and bringing SBS back online should be just that, There will be nothing "new" in AD and no replication etc can take place without a additional DC on the network. in this case there isn't.

• Edited by lanwansc Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:12 PM typo?
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:11 PM
  • I do understand.  You will still have Exchange 2010 attributes in the network.  SBSmigration.com gives you exact guidelines/steps/documentation/information to roll back out to the old exact as it was server.

What you want to do, he's got the exact instructions so that there's no runs, drips or errors should you need to roll yourself back.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 3:48 PM
  • How will I have exchange 2010 attributes in the network? not following

remember the physical SBS server was never migrated. We are not demoting it or anything, just a simple shut down and unplug. The migration took place from a virtual of the SBS.

The only 2010 exchange info in the network will be on the new DC, which is a virtual and would be taken completely offline if we decided to go back to the original SBS server (untouched). As long as the clients are not in the office trying to access exchange, no attributes will be anywhere except the 2008r2 virtual. 

Thank you for the feedback. 

• Edited by lanwansc Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:08 PM new info
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:06 PM
  • The new server being introduced will have 2010 attributes for which the workstations won't have.   Like I said, his process has the exact instructions on how to have this process to have a server be able to undo and roll back to an existing box just as you plan.  He's got the exact guidance you want.

Don't Retire TechNet

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:21 PM
  • The clients automatically see the change and auto configure...I am not sure what your talking about but I will look at the sbsmigration tool. 

Thanks

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:15 PM