none
SSAS Data Mining: Time Series - Algorithm not using all the given data?

Question

• Im new to SSAS mining and was hoping someone could tell me whether the Time Series algorithm is supposed to not take all the given data into account. I have some data in daily slices going from 2011 to 2014.

866 days in total like on the screenshot:

However, it seems as if the algorithm only looks at data 8 months back instead of 3 years like i would expect:

Is this normal and expected, or have I missed some kind of setting?

Thursday, May 01, 2014 9:00 PM

Answers

• What makes you think that algorithm used only the last 8 months of data?

If you think so because you don't see all the data in the viewer, then it is a false assumption. Viewer does not show all the historical data to

1. Improve viewer performance

2. Make it easier for user to see predictions

To check what data is used for training, enable drill through on the structure/model and execute following DMX

SELECT FROM <model>.CASES

Tatyana Yakushev [PredixionSoftware.com]

• Marked as answer by rasmuszimmer Sunday, May 04, 2014 5:08 PM
    Friday, May 02, 2014 4:27 PM

All replies

• What makes you think that algorithm used only the last 8 months of data?

If you think so because you don't see all the data in the viewer, then it is a false assumption. Viewer does not show all the historical data to

1. Improve viewer performance

2. Make it easier for user to see predictions

To check what data is used for training, enable drill through on the structure/model and execute following DMX

SELECT FROM <model>.CASES

Tatyana Yakushev [PredixionSoftware.com]

• Marked as answer by rasmuszimmer Sunday, May 04, 2014 5:08 PM
    Friday, May 02, 2014 4:27 PM

• If you think so because you don't see all the data in the viewer, then it is a false assumption. 

This was exactly why i thought so. I'm happy that you could clarify it for me as I was unable to find an answer anywhere else.

Edit: Thanks for the hint on the DMX

Sunday, May 04, 2014 5:11 PM