ReFS Event ID 136 -- how to "update" ReFS volumes?

Question

• I have just updated a 2012 server to 2012 R2 Preview.

The 2012 server had two ReFS volumes - one created in a mirrored space and one in a 4 column parity space. Both have integrity streams enabled.

I read that 2012 R2 now also supports ReFS self-healing for parity spaces (yay!!!), and since I have some files with bit-rot on the parity space, I tried if I can copy them now. I cannot. Not a single one of the > 30 "rotten" files. I'm still getting the same data integrity error when trying to copy any of them.

On every boot, a ReFS warning is logged for both volumes:

Source = ReFS
    Event ID = 136
    Volume "D:" was mounted in an older version of Windows. Some features may be lost.

I have already "updated" the storage pool ("Update-StoragePool") - which didn't change anything. I have also tried to offline/online the virtual disks - didn't work either.

So question: How can I "update" the two ReFS volumes to take advantage of all new features?

Monday, September 02, 2013 2:03 AM

All replies

• Hi, for more information about refs, please refer to following article: blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/01/02/windows-server-2012-does-refs-replace-ntfs-when-should-i-use-it.aspx

For further analysis, could you send the event log (contains event 136 ) to me via email:v-annyan@microsoft.com
    To export the eventlog, please go to event viewer, right-click the log you want to export, then choose save All Event As...

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your interest in the matter.

I've sent you the requested event log backup.

Wednesday, September 04, 2013 4:08 PM
  • Hi, I checked the system event logs, and noticed following error:

Log Name:      System
    Source:        ReFS
    Date:          9/2/2013 8:46:26 AM
    Event ID:      135
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      HAL9000.halnet
    Description:
    Volume  is formatted as ReFS but ReFS is unable to mount it; ReFS encountered status {Write Protect Error}
    The disk cannot be written to because it is write protected. Please remove the write protection from the volume %hs in drive %hs..

It seems that the disk is write protected, thus causes you can't copy the files successfully.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 3:37 PM
  • No, that's not the problem. That message was caused by me trying to fix the issue, detaching and re-attaching the storage-space and the volumes and what not.

I can write to the both ReFS volumes just fine. I can also read old files, except those few files with bit rot.

Friday, September 06, 2013 4:38 PM
  • I have this same error 'Volume "Bucket" was mounted in an older version of Windows. Some features may be lost.' after upgrade from 2012 to 2012 R2. Functions fine, just curious about the error and how to clear it. I'm not using storage pools.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 5:48 PM
  • Yeah, I'm very curious too. Unfortunately I don't have anything new I could tell you.

I suspect that R2 uses a newer ReFS version (meaning: modified on-disk data structures, not just code changes) that supports some more features but is not backwards compatible with the plain Server 2012. And thus R2 will not silently upgrade to the new version.

Depending on the nature of the changes between the old and the new version it might not be possible (or at least not practical) to implement an in-place upgrade. So the new question is: is it possible at all, and if yes, how?

Also I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed by the management tools that come with newer Windows Server versions. I mean some kind of utility that can display extensive storage information & stats (disks, pools, volumes) would really be nice. Including stuff like information about suspect disks, detailed file-system information (FS version/revision, ...) etc.

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 7:17 PM
  • same error after upgrading from 2012 to 2012 r2.

Volume "S:" was mounted in an older version of Windows. Some features may be lost

it work perfect (for now...) and it's very curiuos that nobody in internet except this page has any information on this. my volume S: is just "11,2 TB allocated" with no backup and it's just a bit critical for me.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 10:35 AM
  • Hi Paolo,

I'm 99% sure that data integrity will be OK, at least at par with Server 2012. Only I assume that maybe the new "parity space self healing" feature won't be available -- cannot be sure though, since I cannot find any information about that.

But another thing...

It'd be great if you guys could check if the thin provisioning works on your upgraded ReFS disks (assuming you use  thin provisioning). Because on mine it doesn't. I have about 1TB free on the volume, optimizing the volume reports 99.x% space efficiency, but it nevertheless uses the space for the full volume in the pool.

If I were able to somehow fix that, I could create a second, new ReFS volume, and then piece by piece copy the data over to the new one. This would still not fix the data corruption I already have, but at least I would then have a volume that has been created on 2012 R2, which then would (hopefully) use all  "features". Whatever that means.

----

@ Microsoft

Anyone from Microsoft still following this thread? Any light that you guys/girls could shed on this would be appreciated.

Tuesday, October 01, 2013 2:39 PM
  • Would be really nice for an update from Microsoft on this - I've upgraded three 2012 servers to R2 and they are all displaying this message in the event logs even though the Storage Pool manager all show them as being "Windows 2012 R2" after upgrading them.

We're talking about disk space here, so it's pretty important that we all know our data is safe.
    Wednesday, October 02, 2013 11:01 AM
  • hello, I have consulted our REFS team, below is updates from them:

=============================================

A possible explanation for this would be if all underlying copies of the “rotten” files were corrupt in which case ReFS will not be able to heal the files. Otherwise, upgrade from server 2012 to 2012 R2 should not affect the ability of ReFS to correct corruptions on parity spaces when integrity streams are turned on.

In order for us to diagnose the issue, could you run the following powershell commands:

Logman.exe start RefsWpp -p "{740f3c34-57df-4bad-8eea-72ac69ad5df5}" 0x400000 255 -o C:\PerfLogs\RefsWpp.etl -ets

Repair-FileIntegrity R:\FileToRepair.dat

logman.exe stop RefsWpp –ets

And share the C:\PerfLogs\RefsWpp.etl with us?

Please send me the log to this email : cts-v-annyan@live.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:28 AM
  • hello, I have consulted our REFS team, below is updates from them:

=============================================

A possible explanation for this would be if all underlying copies of the “rotten” files were corrupt in which case ReFS will not be able to heal the files. Otherwise, upgrade from server 2012 to 2012 R2 should not affect the ability of ReFS to correct corruptions on parity spaces when integrity streams are turned on.

In order for us to diagnose the issue, could you run the following powershell commands:

Logman.exe start RefsWpp -p "{740f3c34-57df-4bad-8eea-72ac69ad5df5}" 0x400000 255 -o C:\PerfLogs\RefsWpp.etl -ets

Repair-FileIntegrity R:\FileToRepair.dat

logman.exe stop RefsWpp –ets

And share the C:\PerfLogs\RefsWpp.etl with us?

Please send me the log to this email : cts-v-annyan@live.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sorry for the question, but in my case how do I figure out what file to repair? I'm not aware of any problem files nor how to find them if they even exist.

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 2:05 PM