none
When trying to activate my win 8,1 i get error 0xC004C780

Question

• Hello, I am having a bit of trouble with my win 8.
    I have a genuine product key, but for some reason it will not activate.
    Does it take some time to get connected for activation or is it something else?
    The error is 0xC004C780 and i get message that my windows cannot be activated at this time.
    Friday, May 09, 2014 1:20 AM

Answers

• It seems that windows just need a couple of hours to pass in order to process the request for activation. After a while i got a msg displayed on my locked desktop to go and activate windows, after that i just clicked that button activate and it worked. So try to give it a time. In my case it took for about 6-10h to pass when i activated. And i just activated it a 10 min ago!
    Friday, May 09, 2014 10:51 AM

All replies

• I am having the same exact problem.
    Friday, May 09, 2014 1:28 AM
  • Friday, May 09, 2014 1:39 AM
  • im having the same trouble too.

I called Microsoft but they acted like that did not know how to fix it.

Friday, May 09, 2014 1:56 AM
  • Same here. Maybe it's just a temporary problem? Something with their server? I'm not sure. I tried phone activation and they just told me to try internet activation. I'm not sure. 
    Friday, May 09, 2014 2:06 AM
  • Same here, likely just activation server issue, it will come back up soon.

Friday, May 09, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Same here  :(
    Friday, May 09, 2014 2:27 AM
  • same here :(
    Friday, May 09, 2014 2:28 AM
  • readyyyyyyyyy
    Friday, May 09, 2014 2:58 AM
  • It seems that windows just need a couple of hours to pass in order to process the request for activation. After a while i got a msg displayed on my locked desktop to go and activate windows, after that i just clicked that button activate and it worked. So try to give it a time. In my case it took for about 6-10h to pass when i activated. And i just activated it a 10 min ago!
    Friday, May 09, 2014 10:51 AM
  • Hello, I am having a bit of trouble with my win 8.
    I have a genuine product key, but for some reason it will not activate.
    Does it take some time to get connected for activation or is it something else?
    The error is 0xC004C780 and i get message that my windows cannot be activated at this time.

I had several systems that I had this problem with, but no problem on the others I support.  In every case, it was caused by the "Media Center" upgrade being installed.  Apparently, the upgrade process is not expecting the upgrade to be installed, so it fails because it doesn't find the file versions it is expecting, or at least, that seems to be consistent with it's behavior.

Fortunately for me, I also had Windows 8.1 from my "Action Pack" subscription, so I just installed 8.1 over the top of it.  However, once the install and required reboot had been accomplished, I discovered that it was no longer activated.  I tried several times to activate the system, but it kept telling me that the "key was invalid for this installation".  I scratched my head for a while and then figured out that the product key changed when I upgrade the original installation of Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center.

Thinking quickly, I used a copy of "NirLauncher" (e.g. Nirsoft Utilities from nirsoft.net) and from the "System Utilities", I ran the "Produkey" utility to capture the "Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center" product key and pasted it into the activation window and it worked!

I hope this helps.

Steve Wilkins

Friday, May 09, 2014 8:43 PM