none
Demoted DC after bringing up another DC (both server 2012).

Question

• It appears the demotion did not transfer the roles to the new server. Now DNS server is complaining of not finding a domain controller. Also Exchange cannot connect. When I look at ADSI Edit on the new server, I cannot find Exchange server. PLEASE HELP!!
    Friday, November 08, 2013 4:21 AM

Answers

All replies

• 1: Make sure you have a valid Domain Controller.

2: Make sure that the DNS records on your DNS server points to this valid DC for the domain name.

3: Make sure that your member servers uses the correct DNS server. Which has a record that points to the correct domain controller(s)

4: Ping the domain name from a member server and verify that it gets resolved to a working DC.

Friday, November 08, 2013 8:16 AM
  • go to command prompt and type:

netdom query fsmo

check the results whether it is still pointing to the old DC.

if it's pointing the old DC and you have already demoted the DC, please check if you have backed up of your system state, you can use it to restore to the existing DC.

if you don't have the back up and the demoted DC will not be able to help, then it's quite hard.

i'm out of ideas. :)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, November 08, 2013 9:30 AM
  • I recovered from a backup. Thanks for the help
    Friday, November 08, 2013 2:32 PM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that and thanks for your share.

Have a good day!

Best regards,

Susie

Friday, November 08, 2013 3:51 PM
  • I recovered from a backup. Thanks for the help
    Glad to know you were able to recover :)

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Saturday, November 09, 2013 3:07 AM