none
How to upgrade Windows Server 2012 (in-place) to Windows Server 2012 R2, with new media and key?

Question

• I have a (Technet) Windows Server 2012 which I use as a Hyper-V host of test images.  I want to upgrade it to Windows Server 2012 R2, using a new ISO file and key from Technet.  I attempted to mount the new ISO and run the setup.exe program, which requested the new key, scanned my system, and it rebooted back to Server 2012.  I expected it to update the machine to server 2012 R2, but it didn't happen.

Then I remembered how Windows 8 Pro with media center was upgraded to 8.1 through the Windows Store.  I didn't find a server 2012 in the store.

I read in other posts how to use DISM to perform the upgrade, but there were a pile of replies from people stating that procedure doesn't work.

I know I can use the brute force method of exporting my virtual images, wipe the disk, and installing a new image.  Afterward I can import my virtual images.

In a production environment, a server 2012 is likely to have a more complex configuration, making it cumbersome to wipe the disk, installing a new image, and going through a complex process of reconfiguring.

Is there a recommended solution for upgrading Server 2012 in-place to Server 2012 R2 ?

- Michael Faklis

Sunday, October 20, 2013 3:54 PM

Answers

All replies