none
Cannot boot to F12, MDT 2012 SP1 and Server 2012

Question

• Hi, I just migrated from MDT 2012 SP1 on a 2003 box to a new 2012 box. DHCP and MDT/WDS are not on the same server but in the same subnet.

I copied my deployement share to my new server and added it to my new server. I changed the name of the server in various configuration and rebuilded my boot images. 

After that I installed WDS and added my boot images in it. The boot image are the one located in the MDT share (D:\MDT\Boot\LitetouchX86 and x64.wim). Same configuration as my previous server. I had no DHCP options set before.

If I don't configure any DHCP options: PXE-E53 No boot file name received

If I configure options 66 to the name of my new server and option 67 to boot\x86\pxeboot.com: I got a blue screen with "the boot configuration data for your pc is missing or contains errors". File \Boot\BCD. Error code 0xc000000f

Is there anything I am missing?

Thank you.

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• Can you take the boot image ISO and try manually booting a VM with that to validate it's not the Boot Image or some config in your new Deployment Share?  Then we can work our way outward to validate DHCP and WDS.

David Coulter | http://DCtheGeek.blogspot.com | @DCtheGeek

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 1:58 PM
    Answerer
  • Can you take the boot image ISO and try manually booting a VM with that to validate it's not the Boot Image or some config in your new Deployment Share?  Then we can work our way outward to validate DHCP and WDS.

Nothing is happening.. blank screen than move to pxe boot... 

If I PXE boot with the VM I still have the blue screen...

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:01 PM
  • If you can't boot the VM from the ISO, something else is wrong with the boot image creation.  I'd guess something went wrong when you copied and changed the config files.  Instead of "moving" the share, could you create a clean fresh Deployment Share, open both Shares from one Workbench, and copy your components across?  You'll still need to modify your cs.ini and boot.ini, but it might be cleaner (and hopefully work).

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:36 PM
    Answerer
  • Sadly my old server just died yesterday in the evening... Can't open it right now. Will see if I can restore on a new disk...

I checked my cs.ini file and nothing in it is related to the server name. Normal?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 3:51 PM
  • Depends on the options you are using (monitoring service, capture fold, etc.).  Did you update your boot.ini to point to the new share?

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:10 PM
    Answerer
  • I don't have any of those. I use my MDT to deploy with LiteTouch with unattended.xml file.

Bootstrap.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default

[Default]
    DeployRoot=\\NewServer\Windows$
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    UserDomain=MyDomain
    KeyboardLocalePE=0c0c:00001009

CustomSettings.ini

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=YES
    SkipAppsOnUpgrade=YES
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    UILanguage=fr-FR
    UserLocale=fr-CA
    KeyboardLocale=0c0c:00001009
    SkipTimeZone=Yes
    TimeZoneName=Eastern Standard Time
    SkipBDDWelcome=YES
    DeploymentType=YES
    SkipUserData=YES
    SkipDomainMembership=NO
    JoinDomain=FSE
    DomainAdminDomain=FSE
    SkipBitLocker=YES
    DoNotCreateExtraPartition=YES
    SkipFinalSummary=YES
    SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    WSUSServer=http://msupdate.mydomain.com

Applications001={d9becb5a-a79f-4aeb-b885-f35ec77ad558}
    Applications002={b73383dc-8799-43bf-bfc4-a01a2697bacc}
    Applications003={06cdcdd0-7a99-4272-83a9-dbbf3c41ade1}
    Applications004={af0bcad9-8c05-4db3-8bbc-94a8a8fa4c8a}
    Applications005={ffe5b683-2b38-4d2b-81e2-6fa9d8ec0892}
    Applications006={d52a15fd-02b5-4c21-aa28-dd2f24049c39}
    Applications007={af76be90-4fb9-47b3-bd23-0bf114f68b52}

MandatoryApplications001={c83f64af-72b0-4bfb-8662-cb578249767d}
    MandatoryApplications002={cdf499ac-14b9-4c2c-8b68-39c4c11c33b1}

• Edited by JFMartel Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 10, 2013 5:30 PM
  • As a complement of information, When I press F12, I don't have the usual boot menu. Since I have 2 boot image (x86 and x64) I should have a choice like I used to have.

Something like this: 

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 7:24 PM
  • Like I said, let's focus on fixing the Boot Image first, then worry about WDS / PXE afterwards (as it may resolve as a result of Boot Image fix).  Are you using WAIK or ADK on your new MDT server?  Are you adding any special drivers into WinPE?  What options do you have selected for inclusion in your WinPE image?  Also, on the WinPE tab on your MDT server, can you also check the "Generic Boot Image Settings" and create both the generic WIM and ISO and try booting from the ISO on a VM?  I want to try looking at your Boot Image from the start and work our way forward to find the issue.

Thursday, April 11, 2013 12:44 AM
    Answerer
  • I just tried to pxe boot with the generic winpe image (both x86 and x64). Nothing happens... It just move on to the next device. But I tried with a CD and both worked. The MDT non generic is also working with a CD and I can start an installation with it.

My new server has ADK installed with the following options selected: Deployement Tools, WinPE and USMT.

My WinPE image has a couple WinPE 3.0 nic and sata driver included. The same as my old (working) server.

I don't understand why simply move a whole configuration to a new server is causing me so much trouble.

So the lone problem right now is the boot menu does not appear with WDS.

Thanks

Thursday, April 11, 2013 1:59 PM