Windows Defender vs Microsoft Security Essentials

Question

• I was a little disappointed with the performance of Windows Defender on Windows8 when compared with MSE on Windows 7
    Windows Defender make mouse gestures broken when opening a folder that contains many .exe files, sometimes that folder not respond for a while.. Is there something I can do to improve the performance of WD?, if no then I want to turn off Windows Defender and replace it with MSE but I can't install MSE in Windows 8, is there any advice that could help me? ...
    Friday, July 06, 2012 4:23 PM

Answers

• How can I uninstall Windows Defender from Win 8 completely, there are no any option to do that..

use this tool:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

• Marked as answer by A'bana Idank Monday, July 09, 2012 3:51 PM
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 6:19 PM
  • MSE is also terrible slow for me. I completely uninstalled Defender and Windows is MUCH, MUCH faster now.

• Marked as answer by A'bana Idank Sunday, July 08, 2012 5:30 AM
    Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT compatible with Windows 8 and Windows Defender is its replacement. In general it shouldn't have much performance issue, but you could take a look at event log and see if there is any performance alert and also update Windows Defender and Windows.You couldn't uninstall Windows Defender and you could only turn it off from setting.

Saturday, July 07, 2012 11:36 AM

All replies

• MSE is also terrible slow for me. I completely uninstalled Defender and Windows is MUCH, MUCH faster now.

• Marked as answer by A'bana Idank Sunday, July 08, 2012 5:30 AM
    Saturday, July 07, 2012 7:34 AM
  • How can I uninstall Windows Defender from Win 8 completely, there are no any option to do that..
    Saturday, July 07, 2012 11:09 AM
  • Microsoft Security Essentials is NOT compatible with Windows 8 and Windows Defender is its replacement. In general it shouldn't have much performance issue, but you could take a look at event log and see if there is any performance alert and also update Windows Defender and Windows.You couldn't uninstall Windows Defender and you could only turn it off from setting.

Saturday, July 07, 2012 11:36 AM

use this tool:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/152688-win6x-registry-tweak/

• Marked as answer by A'bana Idank Monday, July 09, 2012 3:51 PM
    Sunday, July 08, 2012 6:19 PM
  • Awesome!!

thanks Andre, the tool is very usefull, great tool. I also had to remove some features that are useless to me, once again thank you very much, Andre.

Monday, July 09, 2012 3:51 PM
  • On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 03:02:20 +0000, Vegan Fanatic [MVP] wrote:

I have MSE installed on my 8 VM and its not a problem. I suspect there is another issue somewhere.

MSE complements Windows defender which is included with Vista and up.

Sorry but you're wrong here. In Windows 8 Windows Defender and Microsoft
    Security Essentials functions have been merged and the new product has been
    renamed back to Windows Defender and is in fact built into Windows 8. Not
    only is there no need to install MSE on Windows 8, doing so is
    counter-productive.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    Don't hit the keys so hard, it hurts.

Friday, July 13, 2012 9:24 AM