Annoying sorting bug in IE11 - Favourites Bar always drops to bottom of list

Question

• Sorting Favourites by Name moves "Favourites Bar" into the right place in the listing.

However, this only sticks for one session. After closing and reopening IE11 "Favourites Bar" drops back to the bottom of the Favourites list.

• Edited by Win7ine Friday, September 20, 2013 7:56 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 7:53 PM

Answers

• Some Windows update(s) of 8 October 2013 has resolved this issue on all my machines.

• Edited by Win7ine Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Win7ine Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my test, there is no problem in my IE 11 in Windows 8.1 Pro Preview.

Please try to reset IE for test, also try to rename Favourites Folder for test.

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 1:57 AM
  • Hi,

Based on my test, there is no problem in my IE 11 in Windows 8.1 Pro Preview.

Please try to reset IE for test, also try to rename Favourites Folder for test.

If you need further assistance on this particular issue or any other Windows related issue, let us know and we will be glad to assist you.

Roger Lu

I am not on the preview but the RTM. And it is the same issue with both a Laptop running the x86 version and a Desktop running the x64 version both synchronised through a common MS account. Both were upgraded from Win 8 Pro to 8.1 Pro RTM.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

I made a test on RTM, also didn't had the problem. You can try to delete Favourites Bar folder and recreat it for test.

Note: please back the data of this folder fist.

Roger Lu

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:14 AM
  • I have deleted the Favourites Folder and it has been recreated by IE11. Sorting problem is just the same. It is at the bottom of the list, when sorted by Name it goes into the right place but after closing and reopening IE11 it is back to where it started.
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Hi,

I just make another test on my computer. If I rename the favourites folder such as "sfavourites folder", then sort by name. this folder would be sort correctlly in the list. but after I reopen IE 11, I found the folder at the bottom of the list.

So, I think there would a problem with this folder name. Please check the folder properties, verifying if there is any difference.

If there is still no use, you may need to readd IE in Windows Feature for test.

Roger Lu

• Marked as answer by Niki HanModerator Tuesday, October 15, 2013 2:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Win7ine Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:36 AM
    Friday, September 27, 2013 6:38 AM
  • Some Windows update(s) of 8 October 2013 has resolved this issue on all my machines.

• Edited by Win7ine Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Win7ine Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:38 AM
    Tuesday, October 15, 2013 9:37 AM