none
3 SQL database refuse to back up

Question

• I have an sql server with several databases running on it, DPM agent is installed and I can back up all but 3 of the SQL databases I get this error.

Cannot find the volume \\?\Volume{70f5a2c7-d056-11df-b14a-001cc4db9678}\ on the computer running DPM. (ID 62)

I have removed and re added the database into the job with no change in the status.

Richard

Richard
    • Moved by MarcReynolds Friday, October 08, 2010 5:10 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Friday, October 08, 2010 4:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

Are you using DPM 2007 or DPM 2010? Are you co-locating SQL storage if running on DPM 2010?

Can you determine which volume the error corresponds to please (most likely on the DPM server). Jump to an elevated command prompt and run the mountvol command. This should show you the volume names in their raw format and the mount point associated with them. From the mount point you should be able to determine what volume this is and should look something like c:\program files\microsoft dpm\dpm\volumes\replica\ etc and should correspond to the SQL protection group volume ID in the DPM management console.

You can then run diskpart from the command prompt and select the disk your DPM storage pool is on using select disk disk number, then do a detail disk to list the volumes on that disk and look for the mount path. You should be able to see if diskpart is listing the volume as healthy or whether there is a problem with it (could be marked as raw).

If it's a separate volume just for those SQL databases (the others are on different Replica and RP volumes) then you will need to stop protection and delete protected data - make sure the volume in diskpart gets deleted as well - then reconfigure protection for those SQL databases.

I don't know of a way of resolving this error without losing replica and recovery points for protected data but have an open case with Microsoft support in which I'm hoping they'll provide me an answer.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 2:39 AM
  • Can you please look up eventvwr for any disk/volume related errors? Are you co-locating the SQL databases on a single replica volume? Can you retry protection and disable co-location for these 3 databases?

This is strange and needs more information for diagnosis.

Did you also retry reprotecting the 3 databases and still face similar error?

Thanks, Hitesh “This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.”
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 10:25 AM
  • Hi Rickuk99,

Is this issue resolved?

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, May 20, 2011 9:47 PM
  • Hi,

I have the same problem with DPM 2007, but while trying to back up a file server, and i checked the error logs on DPM server, there was this vss error

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Volume/disk not connected or not found. Error context: DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{3e5a9d4f-ba57-11de-8312-002481de883e} - 000000000000024C,0x0053c008,000000000297BE20,0,000000000297CE30,4096,[0]).

I tried removing and re-adding, but in vain. Please help.

Thanks

Pavit

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Can you post the output of this command (run it from DPM Shell).

mountvol | select-string -pattern "Volume{3e5a9d4f-ba57-11de-8312-002481de883e}" -Context 3

Thanks, Wilson Souza - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Did you got any solution for this?
    Wednesday, April 04, 2012 11:38 AM