none
Fotmat harddrive and reinstall windows server 2008R2 and reactivate

Question

• I installed and activated new windows server 2008 R2 but had some problem with disk and want to format and again install on same hard disk, just wondering if there would be any problem once I format my disk and will try to activate software. What is the way to uninstall key and reinstall it again on same pc.

Thanks

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 6:46 PM

Answers

• do you mean the Windows product key?

if so, for OEM and Retail channel productkeys, there is no need to uninstall the key, if you are reinstalling upon the same hardware and that key has only ever been used on that hardware. This is a classic reinstall scenario and activation will not be an issue.

if you are using a Volume Licensing product key (e.g. MAK or KMShost or KMSclient):

- for MAK, you cannot reclaim a MAK pkey, each and every MAK activation will causes a MAK activation to be permanently consumed. You cannot reclaim MAK pkey activations.

- for KMShost, this works the same way as for OEM/Retail, i.e., if you are re-installing the same pkey upon the same hardware, you can do that quite a few times (I think 10) with no issue

- for KMSclient, there is no maximum/upper limit on activations at all, it is unlimited.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 8:40 PM