none
HELP - Windows Server Standard FE migration nightmare!

Question

• Hi All,

I need some advice on what to do with a Windows Server Standard FE server as I don't have experience of it.

The server is the domain controller, exchange 2007 server and it has file shares on it as well. Not only this but it has been virtualised on ESXi 4.0 due to the physical server giving up a few years ago.

This was all done well before my time at the company. I just need some advice on how to sort this out.

Can i create another DC and then demote this one? I think i read somewhere that it won't allow another DC or was this SBS server??

Can I leave exchange 2007 running on the server or now that it is virtualised, does it mean the Windows server license is now invalid?

I'm assuming migrating the file shares is just like 2008 standard?

I'm trying to establish a plan to tell my boss as he feels this server needs addressing.

I hope someone out there can help me.

Regards

Dave

• Edited by DKAllegro Friday, May 09, 2014 8:42 AM
    Thursday, May 08, 2014 7:53 PM

Answers

• Windows Server 2008 Standard FE is the shortened name for Windows Server 2008 for Windows Essential Server Solutions.

this may be helpful...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1543.migrate-windows-essential-business-server-2008-to-2010-standard-edition-products.aspx

Best,

Howtodo

Sunday, May 11, 2014 3:30 PM