none
Fresh 2012 R2 Domain GPO Results Wizard not working

Question

• I've just installed a fresh 2012 R2 domain and a single Windows 7 x64 client for testing.  I've applied two GPO's (One for Computer and one for User Setting), nothing serious, just some random settings to test.

The GPO's are being applied and the settings are active however running the Group Policy Results Wizard from the server results in the following:

I've checked permissions one the GPO delegation and it all seems above board, nothing has changed from the default install, I've literally just installed this and then the AD, DNS and DHCP features to the server.

It's not a big deal as the GPO's are working however as I expand my testing I would see this as becoming a real pain in the ass.
    • Edited by mhouston100 Friday, December 06, 2013 6:09 AM more info
    Friday, December 06, 2013 6:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Before going further, would you please let me know more details of the test GPO that you configure? For example, how you configure it? Which scope did this GPO link to? Please run gpupdate /force and then check if this issue still exists.

According to the messages that I can see from the screenshot, please refer to the following article and troubleshoot this issue. It gave some reasons about why the GPO was inaccessible or empty.

Fixing Core Group Policy problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779631(v=ws.10).aspx

Based on your latest description, I understand that some settings that you configure in GPO can’t be applied completely. However, gpresult /r shows that the group policy was applied correctly. Please collect GPSVC.log to analysis, it will help us to narrow down the range of your issue.

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

The Gpsvc.log is located in the following folder: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug\UserMode\

Note: If the UserMode folder does not exist, create it under %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Monday, December 09, 2013 8:01 AM

All replies

• did you run the wizard as administrator? - ie launch gpmc as administrator?

Regards,

Denis Cooper

MCITP EA - MCT

Help keep the forums tidy, if this has helped please mark it as an answer

My Blog

LinkedIn:

Friday, December 06, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Yep, launched as domain administrator (the default admin account).

It seems I may have been too quick in saying that the policy had applied no problems.  The computer policy is applying no problems, the user policy is 'mostly' applying.

For instance, as a test, I have enabled the following policies in a user GPO:

1. Disable 'Games' folder
    2. Disable 'Control Panel' shortcut
    3. Disable 'Taskbar Grouping'
    4. 'Lock Taskbar'

The taskbar related policies are applying but not the removal of the shortcuts.  Even though running gpresult /r shows the user policy applying correctly.

Friday, December 06, 2013 7:27 PM
  • Hi,

Before going further, would you please let me know more details of the test GPO that you configure? For example, how you configure it? Which scope did this GPO link to? Please run gpupdate /force and then check if this issue still exists.

According to the messages that I can see from the screenshot, please refer to the following article and troubleshoot this issue. It gave some reasons about why the GPO was inaccessible or empty.

Fixing Core Group Policy problems

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779631(v=ws.10).aspx

Based on your latest description, I understand that some settings that you configure in GPO can’t be applied completely. However, gpresult /r shows that the group policy was applied correctly. Please collect GPSVC.log to analysis, it will help us to narrow down the range of your issue.

To collect the GPSVC.log, we need to modify the following registry:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics

Entry: GpSvcDebugLevel

Type: REG_DWORD

Vaule data: 0x30002

The Gpsvc.log is located in the following folder: %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug\UserMode\

Note: If the UserMode folder does not exist, create it under %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Debug.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu
    Monday, December 09, 2013 8:01 AM
  • have you use loopback mode? Any security or WMI filter?

Best,

Howtodo

Monday, December 09, 2013 4:09 PM
  • Hi

Was there any solution to this I'm getting this exact error? Everything is fine when using GPMC on a windows 8 machine or windows 7 just not on a windows 8.1 or SRV 2012 R2.

I have been caught out before with not running as administrator but not this time. When you right click and do advanced view the RSOP is fine just not the Group Policy Wizard.

Simon

• Edited by Boris67 Friday, February 14, 2014 1:47 PM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 1:36 PM
  • I didn't get it sorted in the end, no.

Time didn't permit me spending to much time on it so I scrapped the lab completely, I have just finished my new home lab hardware so I'll be starting all over again.

Wish I could be more help!

Sunday, February 16, 2014 8:26 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for responding it seems that the Group Policy Results Wizard (Even with KB2919394 installed) when run from a Win 8.1 or Win SRV 2012 R2 brings up the "Inaccessible, Empty or Disabled" error when run against SRV 2008 R2 & Win 7 machines. When the GPRW is run from a Win 8 machine with KB2866345 installed the Inaccessible, Empty or Disabled error goes away but the AD / SYSVOL version mismatch error when run against Win 8.1 or Srv 2012 R2 machines remains.

So it looks like the Win 8 patch KB2866345 has worked but the KB2919394 rollup for Win 8.1 & SRV 2012 R2 has not. I'm thinking about rasing a ticket with Microsoft support.

Regards

Simon 

• Edited by Boris67 Monday, February 17, 2014 10:43 AM
    Monday, February 17, 2014 10:41 AM
  • Well it's heartening to see that it's not an issue I caused!

I'll be spending some time testing this weekend so I may be able to confirm it also.

Monday, February 17, 2014 8:55 PM
  • I'm having this issue as well when running Group Policy Results from my 8.1 workstation against a remote Windows 7 machine.  I have to run GPResults from my 2008 R2 domain controller in order to get accurate results. My 8.1 is fully patched with all MS updates.

Has there been any fixes to this yet? 

Friday, July 11, 2014 10:52 PM