none
Differences between changing user password with "net user" and "Alt+Ctrl+Del"?

Question

• Hi, 

I needed a way to change user passwords remotely or via command prompt on Windows Server 2008. The most common thing to do that is with the "net user <username> <new_password>" command, started with administrative rights.

However, after I implement this method I found that when the password is changed that way, some software start to have a problem with so called "Secure Storage". From that I understand, this secure storage is used to store saved passwords and its tightly connected withe current user password. (the specific software I'm talking about is Eclipse)

First thing to do was to blame the software, that he was not written right and the problems is his. But I was very surprised, when I discovered that the problem do not appear if the password is changed with "Alt+Ctrl+Del -> Change Password" method. So, in some way, both methods are changing the password in a different way.

I found a tool (wwwthep.physik.uni-mainz(dot)de/~frink/passwd/), that uses NetUserChangePassword function from Netapi32 library, and also do the change without to cause any problems with this "Secure Storage"

So, my question is this, can someone tell me, why there is difference it the way "net user" command works and is there any another alternative native way to change the password remotely?

Thanks in advance

Thursday, July 04, 2013 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

We have two recommended ways 

1. GUI: http://www.petri.co.il/change_user_password_from_a_remote_computer.htm
    2. Using cmd prompt: http://www.petri.co.il/change_user_password_from_the_command_prompt.htm

Other ways are using of 3rd party tools (Bing/google for it), but MS never recommends to use 3rd party tools, it can be used at owner's risk.

Regards, Ravikumar P

Thursday, July 04, 2013 10:05 AM
  • Hi Ravikumar, 

As I said, the two native ways I already know to change the password are from the GUI (alt+ctrl+del or Control Panel) or with the "net user" command. I want to understand why there is a difference between the two ways, why I face problems after the password was changed with the "net user" way, but not when the password was changed via the GUI. Also is there a third way to do that. Third party tools don't work for me. I need a native way, something that exist in standard Windows installation.

Thursday, July 04, 2013 11:00 AM