none
CPU Fan - constantly runs at high speed

Question

• Just like the title says, my CPU fan is constantly at a high speed. It's loud and I haven't been able to figure out how to set it back to normal. It's a Dell Optiplex GX620. I swapped the power supply, re-imaged the hard drive, and flashed the BIOS to the latest version from dell's website. I looked through all the BIOS settings and logs and didn't find anything. I've asked every IT I know, and gone through a million forums with no real explainations or ideas to this issue. So far the best advice I've got is to turn it off. My theory is if I find the driver that controls the CPU fan and update it, the system won't see the CPU as overheating and it will return to normal. I'm close to just replacing the motherboard but thought I'd post something first. Anybody have an answer?
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 1:55 PM

Answers

• It's a Motherboard/CPU issue. The sensors that tell your fan how fast to run are in the MB but sometimes the CPU has to be replaced as well. You can try the free software called speedfan but don't know if that will work.
    • Marked as answer by conman88 Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:29 PM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:45 PM

All replies

• My CPU fans runs constantly too; gotten any answer yet?  I'm running Vista, what about you?

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 5:10 PM
  • XP.  Try the bios

Looks like 62 views right now, no answers...

Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:49 AM
  • It's a Motherboard/CPU issue. The sensors that tell your fan how fast to run are in the MB but sometimes the CPU has to be replaced as well. You can try the free software called speedfan but don't know if that will work.
    • Marked as answer by conman88 Thursday, June 04, 2009 6:29 PM
    Thursday, June 04, 2009 2:45 PM
  • Just like the title says, my CPU fan is constantly at a high speed. It's loud and I haven't been able to figure out how to set it back to normal. It's a Dell Optiplex GX620. I swapped the power supply, re-imaged the hard drive, and flashed the BIOS to the latest version from dell's website. I looked through all the BIOS settings and logs and didn't find anything. I've asked every IT I know, and gone through a million forums with no real explainations or ideas to this issue. So far the best advice I've got is to turn it off. My theory is if I find the driver that controls the CPU fan and update it, the system won't see the CPU as overheating and it will return to normal. I'm close to just replacing the motherboard but thought I'd post something first. Anybody have an answer?

I have just removed McAfee AV with MCPR.exe ??  & Installed Kaspersky AV ,  ( free from Barclays )
    ----   Now MY CPU Fan runns full speed all the time.
    It is set in the BIOS so that the Fan speed is control by the CPU temperature, 
    The Fan used to:-  at switch on run full speed, then when Xp was up and running the Fan would slow down.  if I worked the PC hard it would run fast again.
    ---- Now it Runs FUL SPEED all the time..
    --- What software or driver in Microsoft XP controls this.   ?  or is It a Registry setting  ???  Help
    I think its McAfee removal MCPR.exe tool that has changed things. dose any one out there have the same error.. 
    I now that as the fan is running Full speed, it will collect more dust in time, and its very noisy.
    Any help would be nice... Thanks

PS I work in IT for 40 years used to design computers, last 14 years Network Administrator, made redundant 3 yaers ago , cant find a job.
    LOL........

Friday, November 27, 2009 6:06 PM
  • hey , guies,. i have problem with laptop cpu fan working continusely, with high speed, it never stop,. by the way i was not like that

when i bought  new laptop or might be i never make attention that fan is working continuelsy,.

using vista,home premium, and MACAFEE,. wuld u pls give me anyone answer,.

many thanks

joo/uk

Tuesday, August 31, 2010 11:25 PM
  • Go to www.AMD.com or www.VGA.com and post your problem in the forum that best fits your problem or start a post of your own. Be a lot more detailed then you are here about all the equipment it will be very important when trying to diagnose. Do not throw out your mother board and stop replacing parts your waisting loot. when you go into the the AMD web site and post under the proper forum You are going to hopefully run into one of three people Gr33nGecko, SteveO_Crossfire or Black Zion these three people are experts in there field and have forgotten more than most people know. If stevo responds to you he will have a website posted in blue  near the bottom of his post or ask him to show you his system you might want to be sitting when you see the unit for his house. I could run a good size town on the darn thing and wait to you see the cooling tower on top. Iv'e seen smaller units on power plants lol. Just joking but the darn cooling tower is still huge . I know Gr33 is in several forums as a supermoderator and has over 17,000 post listed that I am aware of. Well good luck and dont give up.

I know of several reasons your unit maybe overheating but I think you would be better off with anyone of these three techs. and it would be good if you had a second computer/laptop near you. When I am working with them I use a lap top that way I can do voltage checks or whatever and I am responding with questions and answers without delay and I am not blowing up my computer or myself to answer or check a problem that would normally require me to shut down my problem computer and still be able to talk with the guys.

Good luck

Chris

Tuesday, January 18, 2011 8:51 AM
  • I also have had this problem crop up time and again with the Dell optiplexes.

The latest was with a GX620 which is what brought me here. I just built one for a friend after his XPS 410 motherboard went bad. His hard drive info transferred over nicely and even outfitted him with a nice Pentium D processor.  However, his fan would kick on almost immediately and stay running at top speed.

This puzzled me, as I thought the dual-cores all ran cooler. However, and this could be the OP's original problem, research taught me the Pentium Ds are considerably hotter than the later Dual-core chips.

As the Pentium D was one of the chips that was shipped with the Optiplex GX620s, it began to seem credible that perhaps the CPU was the problem. Switching the D with a Pentium 4 HT chip solved the problem, and the fan now stays quiet. I know this may not be an option available to all of you since I work in a shop, but my guess is that anyone who has a fan running high may find relief with this solution.

Friday, September 09, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Inside the GX620, have a look at the capacitors on the motherboard.  There is a common issue with the boards in these machines and the GX270 / GX280 boards whereby the capacitors swell (bulge on top) and eventually start to leak.  This can cause problems with either the fan spinning at full speed and/or no display output.

The only viable solution is to replace the motherboard.  I have had this on 50+ machines now.  "Apparently" they use different capacitors now, but I suspect time will tell.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 10:43 AM
  • I may be a little late posting on this forum but I also do not see any one who has posted a few simple things, so i will share and elaborate what your problems could be. First, if you just replaced the cpu then you most likely had to reinstall windows. (figuring you are using windows). with a fresh install of windows on a motherboard that worked previously, there should be NO problems. if it does spin full speed with a cpu swap, either the cpu thermometer is faulty, or your having a compatibility issue, that MIGHT be able to be fixed with a bios update BUT I doubt it.  I have bought brand new motherboards that do this as well with SOME cpu's and NOT others.  so most likely its a compatibility issue,  This most commonly happens with the pulse modulation system fans, they suck, plain and simple,  BUT I HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR YA.  bust out about 20 bucks and buy a fan cool fan controller, they have sweet touch screen fan controllers that fit into a cd/dvd bay and will control up to 4 - 5 fans and each have a thermometer to auto adjust as needed. plus it makes your case look great.  other than that you can keep buying fans or cpus untill you find the right match.................................................................................... or not.

and P.S. I am assuming you know what thermal paste is???!!! if your machine was working fine, and you changed NOTHING, and your fan now runs at full speed. you need to take apart. blow out dust, remove heat sink, clean thermal paste off, AND REAPPLY NEW PASTE, DONT CHEAP OUT ON PASTE GET THE GOOD STUFF CUZ YOU WONT NEED TO DO IT AGAIN FOR 2-3 YEARS!!!! 

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:25 PM
  • sorry, i have a new baby my mind is scattered, You could also grab a normal fan and use the regular system case fan power jack, the 3 wire one(red,  yellow,black)

and could use a molex to small 3 pin connector for rear case fan power, or buy a cheap 5 dollar fan controller for the rear one or cpu one....... LETS JUST PUT IT THIS WAY       YOUR CHEAP EASY AND COOL SOLUTION IS "FAN CONTROLLERS"   www.newegg.com  or www.tigerdirect.com has great deals on them.

if you are on the west coast, new egg will be much faster on shipping. for east coast tiger direct will be faster. IF you are bargain hunting check them both.

Hope this can help some of you out.

and laptop guys, you should really replace thermal paste on a laptop once a year. i know it sounds rediculous but check out this example, you should replace your transmission fluid on your vehicle every 10 000 despite what your manual says or your awesome mechanic, i dont care. if you like your stuff SERVICE IT!

MOFUGGGZ

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 11:35 PM
  • My Alienware Area 51, does the same thing on a cold boot, and the only way the fan speed is corrected is by a warm boot.  Do you still advise that this is a motherboard/cpu issue?

Wednesday, January 04, 2012 10:52 PM
  • Speedfan does work. I own an Optiplex Gx 620 and it has the same problem. I bought it new last year at a very good price and now I know why. It is a good sturdy computer but the fan noise is enough to make you want to throw it out the window. I tried Speedfan and at first could not get it to work but finally succeeded. Unfortunately, I don't have the computer in from of me or I would give you the exact specs but I do remember that I had to enter the hard drive and fan details in config. There is also a place you click specifically for Dells ( I forget where but you will easily see it) After reboot, the fan would be going crazy.. I started SF.. and as soon as I changed the number in the GPU fan % window on the front page.. the fan shut off immediately.. It was great!.. I did not tinker with it much after that... it worked and that is all I cared about but I imagine that with a little tinkering around, you could get it to load the settings automatically and problem solved.. Great little piece of software..
    Thursday, September 06, 2012 11:48 PM
  • Use This Software  100% Works With Dell Optiplex Gx 620 & Dell Laptops 

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

• Proposed as answer by Tarzan King Sunday, June 09, 2013 2:58 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Tarzan King Sunday, June 09, 2013 2:59 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Use This Software  100% Works With Dell Optiplex Gx 620 & Dell Laptops 

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html

• Proposed as answer by Tarzan King Sunday, June 09, 2013 2:59 PM
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:52 PM
  • THANKS BROTHER MAIN NE APP KO DUA DAY DI HAY K KHUDA APP KO KAMYABI ATTA FARMAYE AMEEN SUMA AMEEN AUR JAHAN BHI RAHO KHUSH RAHO
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Hello,

The TechNet Sandbox forum is designed for users to try out the new forums functionality. Please be respectful of others, and do not expect replies to questions asked here.

As it's off-topic here, I am moving the question to the Where is the forum for... forum.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:00 PM
  • Hello,

This should have been asked in the Windows forum on Microsoft Community.

Karl

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer.
    My Blog: Unlock PowerShell
    My Book: Windows PowerShell 2.0 Bible
    My E-mail: -join ('6F6C646B61726C406F75746C6F6F6B2E636F6D'-split'(?<=\G.{2})'|%{if($_){[char][int]"0x$_"}})

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:01 PM