Download options upon release date

Question

• Hi.  When 8.1 is released I want to download an iso and burn a DVD so I can do a clean install on my box.  (I had technet but msdn is now too expensive for me!)

I'm currently running the 8.1 preview, and I want to wipe and start fresh with the release version.  I do NOT just want to apply 8.1 as a "windows update".

I have product keys for Windows 8 Pro.

So, does anyone know for sure that I will be able to download the full version of Windows 8.1 Pro as an .iso, without paying retail for it??

Thanks! /jim

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:20 AM

Answers

• The original Windows 8 (Build 9200 series) product keys will not work with a clean install of a Windows 8.1 (Build 9600 series).  You would need to purchase a new Windows 8.1 product key if performing a clean install using a Windows 8.1 ISO image.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by LagunaJim Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:04 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 7:43 PM
  • No, unless you purchase a new Windows 8.1 license from the Microsoft Online Store.

Carey Frisch

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:45 PM
  • So you're saying that in order to get a "clean install" without buying an 8.1 license, I would need to wipe and install Windows 8, then perform the "upgrade" to get to 8.1 ??

That would surprise me, and be disappointing.

Please confirm, thanks! /jim

That is correct.  Remember when Windows 98SE came out?  An older Windows 98 product key could not be used with Windows 98SE media for a clean install.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by LagunaJim Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:03 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Hi.  The product key(s) I have are for the full version of Windows 8.0 Pro..  from my former Technet account.

Using such a product key then, I should be able to download a full .iso, burn a disk, and then clean install 8.1 -- right?

Thanks/jim

Product keys for Windows 8.0 will not work with Windows 8.1 when performing a clean install using a Windows 8.1 installation media.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:29 AM

All replies

• When the Windows 8.1 final version is available it can be activated by using Windows 8.0 key.

You can perform a clean installation.

Friday, September 20, 2013 6:37 AM
  • ..and there will be a download full .iso option somewhere at microsoft.com ?

Thanks! /jim

Friday, September 20, 2013 5:01 PM
  • The original Windows 8 (Build 9200 series) product keys will not work with a clean install of a Windows 8.1 (Build 9600 series).  You would need to purchase a new Windows 8.1 product key if performing a clean install using a Windows 8.1 ISO image.

Carey Frisch

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:43 PM
  • No, unless you purchase a new Windows 8.1 license from the Microsoft Online Store.

Carey Frisch

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:45 PM
  • Hello Jim,

It's not the iso, it's the product key that determines whether it's an upgrade version or full version.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Friday, September 20, 2013 7:47 PM
  • So you're saying that in order to get a "clean install" without buying an 8.1 license, I would need to wipe and install Windows 8, then perform the "upgrade" to get to 8.1 ??

• Edited by LagunaJim Friday, September 20, 2013 10:34 PM
    Friday, September 20, 2013 10:30 PM
  • Hello Jim,

I am stating the behavior is based on the product key that you are using.  If the product key is an upgrade key then yes you need an underlying OS installed.  If the product key a Full product key then you do not. 

The upgrade versus full behavior is tied to the product key not to the media you are using.

You will still need to be using the correct product key for the media you are using.

I do not know which product key you are using so I do not know what the behavior will be

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, September 20, 2013 11:25 PM

That is correct.  Remember when Windows 98SE came out?  An older Windows 98 product key could not be used with Windows 98SE media for a clean install.

Carey Frisch

• Marked as answer by LagunaJim Thursday, September 26, 2013 6:03 PM
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 12:40 AM
  • Hi.  The product key(s) I have are for the full version of Windows 8.0 Pro..  from my former Technet account.

Using such a product key then, I should be able to download a full .iso, burn a disk, and then clean install 8.1 -- right?

Thanks/jim

Saturday, September 21, 2013 2:34 AM

Thanks/jim

Product keys for Windows 8.0 will not work with Windows 8.1 when performing a clean install using a Windows 8.1 installation media.

Carey Frisch

Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:29 AM
  • can I use an xp key to do a full install of windows 7
    Saturday, September 21, 2013 1:49 PM
  • @carey - It is confusing, but I believe what you are referring to is that they are not selling two versions - an upgrade version and a full version -- they are only selling the full version, which can be used to upgrade or for "clean".  There are not two prices - upgrade and full, only one price = $199 for Windows 8.1 Pro (I use Bitlocker so must have pro)

The problem with this for me still is that I will have to PURCHASE Windows 8.1 unless I want to wipe my machine, install Windows 8, then go online and upgrade to 8.1.

This is still a bummer.  I really just want to download an .iso and be able to install clean - using a windows 8 key....

Thanks for sticking with me! /jim

Thursday, September 26, 2013 10:47 PM