none
Retirement of Technet - Existing keys

Question

• Hi,

I have read with interest the articles on your website in relation to the retirement of the TechNet program. This is very sad news.

Am I still correct in thinking that users that subscribed before the abolition of perpetual keys in July 2012 will continue to have use of their keys, even after the program is abolished?

Thanks,

Tom.

Monday, July 01, 2013 5:41 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

I have read with interest the articles on your website in relation to the retirement of the TechNet program. This is very sad news.

Am I still correct in thinking that users that subscribed before the abolition of perpetual keys in July 2012 will continue to have use of their keys, even after the program is abolished?

Thanks,

Tom.

Would like to know as well? ..

But why are they really doing this? I could never understand how they just give it to anyone but what about us who have sat many MS exams getting qualified, surely we have paid for this service? How do we sell to our clients, directors, CEO's etc. if we cannot test ..? EVAL!! ?? 180 days if lucky to learn exchange or SCCM inside out?? ... Come on MS, before I knew of this (way back) the only real option to set up a Lab was piracy are you sure you are not shooting yourselves in the foot? 

I have seen the ads such as secret way to OS for free etc. .. and guess that as you just let everyone have it then it is subject to abuse but they are throwing the baby out with the bath water with this.. I cannot justify the level of MSDN I would need  so hopefully my keys would still work but if not? 

My current contract are using XP in a Citrix VDI enviroment .. I am testing Win 8 embedded for the thin clients and have a couple of 2012 servers .. Our lab network there is being used for a few things so I use my own home network for the real potential damaging (PXE Boot from WDS type things) 

Quoted you Tom because would really like to know as well.. do we DL everything we can, get every key? Or do we do something to try and get MS to re-think .. is it even likely? .. Why not loose your certs if you are found to be distributing MS keys or such like. 

Ahh .. my rant 

Jason

Monday, July 01, 2013 6:52 PM
  • Same question here, looking for a concrete answer.

--nj

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:17 PM
  • I am really disappointed. It is not just learning about tech to pass exams, but when you want to see if a config works in a certain scenario. 

Now we I will have to rebuild my lab with free software any time i want to test a scenario. And although you can get MSDN server subscription similar to technet for $699, if you want office that will cost you $6000 for the full blown version. 

The people making the decisions never had to trouble shoot how and why one version of office, with another version of os acts wonky with some other app. Technet gave us a way to methodically test and find answers... not now.

MS has made some dumb decisions, but this takes the cake. The new SEs i meet these days are not very savvy and removing another resource will just lower the bar even more. Maybe this will give the FOSS movement a better chance - if the good stuff is harder to get, I may switch to something easier to access, even if I find it inferior. It worked for VHS. 

Monday, July 01, 2013 7:39 PM
  • Completely agree this seems like a daft idea, and can't help thinking the person who wrote the FAQ http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427 felt the same way considering how many "questions" are answered with the same block of party line text.

As Tom mentioned they don't say anything about perpetual keys, and they also don't seem to go into much detail about the changes to the MSDN subscription.

For those of us who get our TechNet subscription via work as Microsoft Partners then we can at least use the MSDN licenses instead (they've changed the rules to allow evaluation use rights to MSDN downloads), but they don't mention if they'll be increasing the number of MSDN licences available to compensate. If not and you're already in a situation where MSDN and TechNet subscriptions are allocated separately to different individuals in your organisation, most likely TechNet for sysadmins and MSDN for developers, then us sysadmins could be out of luck!

Monday, July 01, 2013 8:35 PM
  • This is, without a doubt, the biggest disappointment I have felt because of Microsoft in many, many years.

During my two years with my employer, I have audited software, explained what an Action Pack is, why we need more licences, why a TechNet subscription is not the answer to licence shortfall, purchased more legitimate licences, recommended Lync, Office 365, Windows 7 and 8, Server 2008 R2, 2012... Pushing now for 2012 R2 and 8.1...

Why am I doing all of this? Because I believe Microsoft products are the best, as a result of using them, day in and day out, at home and at work, because of my TechNet subscription.

From what I've seen, the "alternatives" are not good enough, so I put it to you Microsoft, after several years of devotion:

Give me a £200 a year unlimited Azure account, where I can spin up all the stuff I want in the cloud, without any of these silly product keys etc, so I can stay up to date. Sure it's going to cost me more than a TechNet subscription, but if I can retire some of this equipment I've had to run for years and shift it all into the cloud, I'll do it. Make it happen.

With this "rapid release" cycle there's never been a more important time for someone like me to have access to everything Microsoft offers, without trial cut offs or other limitations. Now you're going to take that away. It just doesn't make any sense to me, at all.

Monday, July 01, 2013 8:39 PM
  • We gotta make a petition!! let's go guys
    Monday, July 01, 2013 8:42 PM
  • I am so unhappy with this wrong and really bad policy. You guys have already written great reply's, I frequently have issues that need special testing and I use old xp, 2003 etc downloads to test with, then when I do my new implementations I use the new servers to test with. I have had to rebuild already using eval software on windows 2012. This upsets me a lot. Rather than be impolite, I would say that I was once a mainframe guy now I'm not a lot if the reason is behaviors that did not make sense and hurt the guys that use the software, dong that makes you review your software choices.

Carl

Monday, July 01, 2013 8:54 PM
  • Hi everyone,

Nice to know everyone is on the same wave length!

I'm presuming they will stay valid, as obviously the license agreement has to remain the same from a legal aspect, and that says nothing (pre July 2012) about the keys being deactivated or anything. That would just cause so many problems for my business and lots of other businesses it's untrue - we have virtual testing environments and everything set up with these keys.

Would be nice just to confirm this MS and the details are a bit thin on the ground :)

Tom.

Monday, July 01, 2013 8:54 PM
  • First, the forums... Now, TechNet.

Microsoft, please supply us with an answer. Any answer. You should have anticipated these threads and been prepared to deal with them the moment the news was broken to the public.

Monday, July 01, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Why am I doing all of this? Because I believe Microsoft products are the best, as a result of using them, day in and day out, at home and at work, because of my TechNet subscription.

Snap, leaving aside the test lab at work, I run Hyper-V on my Windows 8 home PC and currently have 12 VM of varying setups so I can have a play with various things. My first 2012 AD VM dates back to November last year and still gets regular use, so 30-90 days trials are no use to me at all, rebuilding my AD domain every couple of months doesn't appeal in the slightest. At work we've migrated most of our servers to 2012 already, with many being switched late last year, and the availability of TechNet is the one and only reason that happened. Both myself and my boss had already played with it at home (he's got an even bigger home lab than me!), so shortly after it had gone RTM to starting switching things over.

Without it we'd be back in the old ways, only thinking about upgrading now that R2 is on the way and there's plenty of documentation available, as tinkering with live systems is rarely conducive to remaining gainfully employed!

It seems like their excuse is "oh, but it's alright, because we have these other facilities which allow you to do these things!", without recognising that they don't meet the needs of many of us in real life.

Monday, July 01, 2013 9:05 PM
  • I am very disappointed, this decision was short sighted and definitely not going to be popular.   MS needs to take a hard look at the revenue that TechNet subscribers generated for them over the years.  This is not well thought out.

Larry

• Edited by Larry32 Monday, July 01, 2013 9:21 PM I can't spell
    Monday, July 01, 2013 9:16 PM
  • This is a sad day, when you are an IT person handling multiple clients 180 days is not enough time for testing with daily interruptions from other clients... Microsoft is bending us over again!
    Monday, July 01, 2013 9:27 PM
  • I agree with all the comments here. I am currently using a 180 day evaluation of SCCM 2012. I finally got my company to purchase a TechNet subscription and literally the day after I received and activated it I got this notice in my email about retiring it!?! I can say that none of the other options they offer helps me to support the subscription software we already own. I have a full blown SCCM 2012 environment supporting 20,000 computers and there is no way I'm gonna go tweaking around with it to prove a concept. That's why I purchased TechNet! So I can run it in a VM and test all it features and gotcha's BEFORE running it in a production environment. I can not accept that Microsoft believes that only evaluators use TechNet Plus. Like someone else here said, I have supported and defended Microsoft products since DOS 3.0. It's doesn't appear that Microsoft is much about supporting those who support their software anymore. I don't know who's making the decisions there but I truly miss the days of the Bill Gates. He was a true Techie...
    Monday, July 01, 2013 11:04 PM
  • Seems like another blow from Microsoft. I've been a subscriber for quite some time. I hear so much negativity about Microsoft and often try to defend them, but they do everything in their power to prove the naysayers right.

Monday, July 01, 2013 11:09 PM
  • There is another negative aspect to this, there are no old version evals! Lets say I get a job where the environment is SCCM 2007 on Windows 2008 r2, how exactly am I supposed to build a personal use test and demo environment to match that prod setup? Just because MS releases new versions doesn't mean the world instantly upgrades.And as others have said, 180 days is an insult.

I have heard that the reason for this move is because a few are selling their keys as a side business, seems to me it would be easy to track down these folks and shut down their accounts, maybe sue one or two to set an example, but to punish your most loyal users and advocates inside companies just seems insane. Many including myself pay out of our own pocket without employer reimbursement because it is valuable to know and have experience with server 2012 (or whatever is latest and greatest) before the boss comes by and asks our opinion on moving to it.

I read a column a year or so ago that said the long term goal of Asure is to eliminate the need for corporate IT pros outside of low level techs to replace coffee clogged keyboards and empty toner bottles...I thought this was just link bate at that time but maybe the author was right and we are just seeing confirmation that MS seems to be trying to eliminate the in house IT Professional.

• Edited by agreer Monday, July 01, 2013 11:47 PM spelling
    Monday, July 01, 2013 11:45 PM
  • I just stated this in another thread.  Basically, I was recommending upgrading to 2012 HyperV and leveraging Azure for Hybrid cloud environments for SMBs.  With this move however, I'll no longer be able to test out this ability, and it's in my best interest as well as my clients best interests to explore other alternatives.  So far the best I've seen with limited budget constraints has been Apache's CloudStack and Amazon's Cloud.  This has nothing to due with IT pros, as most SMBs have limited budgets to spend on full time IT personnel, so they hire consultants that recommend what they are familiar with.  With the demise of TechNet, I will simply look to other options for my clients.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:05 AM
  • Speaking for myself, this will leave me up the creek without a paddle...I dont think any employer will buy IT pros the $6,100 technet that includes the servers like exchange Lync and SCCM and being that I have worked in 2007 SCCM production enviornments since it came out pretty much, how exactly am I supposed to become well versed in 2012 if I have to rebuild my lab every 60-180 days...and that raises another interesting question, can we even do more than one trial eval per product? are you saying that I can only test with SCCM 2012 or SQL 2012 for one period of 180 days then no more testing till the next version? Can I eval more thn one win server? can I have say 3 simultaneous VMs on my win 8 host running on an eval key ( a DC, SQL/SCCM server and file/apps server for example)
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom

I thought I'd have an answer back on this by now but I'm still waiting on it.  Sorry that its taken a while.  

The EULA that was in effect when your subscription was most recently renewed or purchased is the EULA that your subscription falls under.  I hope to have a update for you tomorrow that specifically answers your question.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:54 AM
  • Thanks for everyone's comments here so far.  We are reading all of them.  I'd like to make sure you've reviewed the TechNet Subscriptions FAQ located here: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427.  If you have other questions, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 12:59 AM
  • Well, their might be some soldiers crying foul on this one.  How is a soldier, contractor or DOD civilian, going to train or build a test system when it takes 2 days alone to download the image.  30 days, will never be enough time, and a online VM is impossible over anything but a very fast and robust connection.   180 days in enough to get enough invested, that when it fails, you give up and look for another alternative.   Here is my prediction, IT descieion makers will push away from your products because they will not get the support for testing they need.   Critical or secure systems will no longer be Microsoft in a few years.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:29 AM
  • I hope you guys have something absolutely stonking up your sleeves to make up for this, seriously.

Now I've had some sleep and thought about this a little further, the more bizarre a decision it seems to be.

You may think there are good enough reasons to abolish the service, but there are many more great reasons to keep and refine it.

Those virtual labs are terrible; time limited? I don't want to be time limited, save that for the exams.

I want to run Microsoft software my way, I want access to your entire back catalogue of software. I want to spend 2 hours installing it and re-installing it, again and again. I want to know it inside out.

People are selling keys? Make it easier for us to report them. Abolish keys going forward, make us sign in like Office. Those people don't deserve a TechNet subscription, make it impossible for them to get one in the first place. If they work in IT, they should be ashamed of harming the industry to line their own pockets.

When my colleague 10ft in front of my desk said "We can buy a TechNet subscription to make up the shortfall of licences, problem solved." I shot him down SO FAST and SO HARD. For every 10 idiots like that, there's one of me ready and willing to argue about it.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:43 AM
  • I am to very disappointed and annoyed about this decision. There was no consultation or even suggestion form MS that this may be about to happen. I maintain a long term test lab at home, which I simply don't have the time to rebuild every time a time limited piece of software expires. I have a life, I do things outside of IT, but I need my lab in order to maintain my skillset in various areas which I don't work on day to day. Do the people who made this decision have any idea how long it takes to build an AD environment, and then put the extra services that you need on top of that? It would probably use up half of the temporary licence just building infrastructure in my free time.

How can I be expected to design systems using MS software, if I can't use that software - on my own terms - to become intimately familiar with it?

Very, Very disappointed.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:46 AM
  • I was going to type out a long and detailed post about why this is so bad for small resellers but then I realised, MS want's to push us all out of business and concentrate on their cloud. 

They kill off SBS, produce *that* tablet operating system and expect us to support it in corporate environments and now this?

I think I will spend my time skilling up on *Nix and supply and support that instead.

Bad move MS...

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:38 AM
  • I am to very disappointed and annoyed about this decision. There was no consultation or even suggestion form MS that this may be about to happen. I maintain a long term test lab at home, which I simply don't have the time to rebuild every time a time limited piece of software expires. I have a life, I do things outside of IT, but I need my lab in order to maintain my skillset in various areas which I don't work on day to day. Do the people who made this decision have any idea how long it takes to build an AD environment, and then put the extra services that you need on top of that? It would probably use up half of the temporary licence just building infrastructure in my free time.

How can I be expected to design systems using MS software, if I can't use that software - on my own terms - to become intimately familiar with it?

Very, Very disappointed.

This. I also have a long term lab across 2 hyper-v 2012 servers. 3 AD forests, DNS, SQL Servers, Sharepoint, etc.

For sure, MS definately do not realise the amount of time it takes to build out an environment and a rebuild would probably use up half the time on the license before doing any testing. What a dumb decision.

This was/is such a powerful way to learn.

How can trial software and some webcasts be an alternative? Virtual labs can't cut it as if I am going to test things like client issues, I need FULL CONTROL.

If these were alternatives, I would have gone with them in the first place and not spend £200 of my hard earned cash!  What a dumb comment Technet made here.

These are 2 seperate strands of services for different types of people. Even if people do misuse Technet, punish them and not everyone else. That is hardly fair.

A petition got over 200,000 entries. Each individual probably has brought the subscription. That is 200,000 x 300 - that's a lot of money! Would more than pay for the servers hosting the downloads, and MS has enough money to invest in the cloud so a few servers, hammered or not, is no issue. Even if piracy is an issue, the career development and evengalism and promotion of MS are bigger benefits.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:47 AM

Very, Very disappointed.

This. I also have a long term lab across 2 hyper-v 2012 servers. 3 AD forests, DNS, SQL Servers, Sharepoint, etc.

For sure, MS definately do not realise the amount of time it takes to build out an environment and a rebuild would probably use up half the time on the license before doing any testing. What a dumb decision.

How can trial software and some webcasts be an alternative? Virtual labs can't cut it as if I am going to test things like client issues, I need FULL CONTROL.

If these were alternatives, I would have gone with them in the first place and not spend £200 of my hard earned cash!  What a dumb comment Technet made here.

These are 2 seperate strands of services for different types of people. Even if people do misuse Technet, punish them and not everyone else. That is hardly fair.

A petition got over 200,000 entries. Each individual probably has brought the subscription. That is 200,000 x 300 - that's a lot of money! Would more than pay for the servers hosting the downloads, and MS has enough money to invest in the cloud so a few servers, hammered or not, is no issue. Even if piracy is an issue, the career development and evengalism and promotion of MS are bigger benefits.

Where is the petition? I will gladly sign it!
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Everyone,

PLease contact MS Technet Center (North America) at;

United States
    Canada  (800) 344-2121 tsubserv@microsoft.com 

Tell MS this is a bad decison

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 1:34 PM

Very, Very disappointed.

Where is the petition? I will gladly sign it!

Hey,

http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/354529-please-don-t-end-technet-subscriptions

Not really a petition but if we send that link to MS the sheer volume of replies will maybe make MS wake up.

Anyway, even if people do abuse the Technet licenses by using it for live systems, at least those people still paid MS the $300 or so for the subscription. So at some point, even if MS do lose money, they gained something (the $300), which of course is better than nothing. Now people will continue to misuse licenses and/or even resort to outright piracy, but in that process, Microsoft won't get a look in or make any money in the process.

The amount of money they earn from the 200,000 entries on that link would more than pay for the servers and staff on the helpdesk etc.

Bizarre decision. I will keep making threads on here to get the attention of MS. I am shocked that there is no official reply from MS here, on their own forum!

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Just spoke to the folks at TechNet.

Assume that you are working in your home lab in preparation for a client consulting opportunity on a legacy (Server 2003/2008) product. The day your TechNet expires, you will no longer have access to that legacy product. There is no support for legacy product downloads at the TechNet Evaluation Center. Most of my customers do not implement the latest and greatest MS product as soon the product is released.

How do I utilize legacy products in my home lab without TechNet?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:06 PM
  • Everyone,

PLease contact MS Technet Center (North America) at;

United States
    Canada  (800) 344-2121 tsubserv@microsoft.com 

Tell MS this is a bad decison

I've just e-mailed them, suggest everyone else does. Sure, we can all come on a forum and complain about it but MS need to know they have got it wrong yet again...
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Going to do the same and constantly chat online to them. :)
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:29 PM
  • Bizarre decision. I will keep making threads on here to get the attention of MS. I am shocked that there is no official reply from MS here, on their own forum!

There's a CSG member replying in a few threads, that's about it so far.

EDIT: Just noticed, he's posted a few times above.

Don't retire TechNet!

• Edited by Mike Laughlin Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:34 PM 345he5yh
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:30 PM
  • What is CSG?
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:39 PM
  • What is CSG?

CSG = Microsoft Contingent Staff. Basically a vendor/temp. Here's a snippet from the affiliations page:

Microsoft Contingent Staff Microsoft CSG, MSFT CSG

This affiliation is given to Vendors and/or Agency Temporary's who are contracted or assigned to Microsoft for specific services, deliverables or positions.

They are not Microsoft Employees and do not speak for or officially represent Microsoft. The company they work for should be listed in the "I work at" field in their profile.

A vendor or agency temporary must opt-in to the affiliation.

If you are a Microsoft Contingent Staff Vendor or Agency Temporary, please click here to begin the affiliation process.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 2:48 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Is there an update on this issue?

Thanks,

Tom.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 3:34 PM
  • April fools was 4 months ago, this is not very funny Microsoft.  Feels like we are being thrown under the bus.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:21 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Is there an update on this issue?

Thanks,

Tom.

Sadly no Tom.  Very sorry about this delay.

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 4:52 PM
  • Thanks everyone for providing their feedback so far.  I understand some of the frustration about this change, but I have been asked to make clear that the TechNet Subscription isn't going away tomorrow, or in 60 days.  

The last day to purchase a new subscription is August 31st, and those subscriptions will be honored if activated by September 30th, so its possible to have an active TechNet Subscription well in 2014, and longer in some (Volume License) cases.

I've been asked to refer people to the FAQ again, and I'm trying to do that in every post, so I hope thats not much of a broken record from me.  I've also seen some posts where people are trying rally fellow customers to contact the call centers, which is fine.  We are monitoring the (expected) increase in traffic to our call centers.  Please be cordial to the folks you speak to on the phone and/or over chat. 

Edit: Says he tries to include link to faq in every post.  fails on that post. http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427 <facepalm>

btw, yes, I am a CSG :)  I do however own this forum, and I have been asked to politely reply to people here through this announcement on behalf of the TechNet Subscriptions team.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:04 PM
  • Hi Mike, thank you, is there any way you can chase up this for me? Thanks, Tom.
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:19 PM
  • My TechNet subscription has allowed me to have a test lab for about 12 years. Many of the people I support still have Windows XP and Windows Server 2003. My lab even has a Windows 2000 client so I can make sure my solutions work for everyone. One of the bugs I reported this year required testing in my lab to establish that it did not exist in Windows Server 2003, but was introduced with Windows Server 2008. All of my scripts and VB programs are tested in my lab. Almost all of the Wiki articles I have published required extensive testing in my lab.

If in the future I can only download 180 day evaluation copies, I am effectively out of business. I don't see how I can continue to answer questions in the forums if I don't have a domain with several domain controllers and clients for testing.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:21 PM
  • Tom I'm trying. 

I asked them to let me give you an answer an hour ago, but they still want to discuss it a bit more. 

In general, EULA questions really come down to this: if you do something that Microsoft thinks is a violation of the EULA, and decides to sue you, that puts you and I on the opposite sides of a legal dispute.  If I were to today give you a full thumbs up to what you want to do, that could be construed as a side agreement between you and I, and Microsoft would not like to continue employing me in that case :)  I want no such thing as the "Mike Kinsman Defense" in court :) so given all of that I'm going to let them have their discussion and we'll see what they say.  Remember this question is going to Microsoft's lawyers, and they're not your lawyers, so you should also read your EULA.

Thanks for your patience! 

Mike

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:40 PM
  • Thanks everyone for providing their feedback so far.  I understand some of the frustration about this change, but I have been asked to make clear that the TechNet Subscription isn't going away tomorrow, or in 60 days.  

The last day to purchase a new subscription is August 31st, and those subscriptions will be honored if activated by September 30th, so its possible to have an active TechNet Subscription well in 2014, and longer in some (Volume License) cases.

I've been asked to refer people to the FAQ again, and I'm trying to do that in every post, so I hope thats not much of a broken record from me.  I've also seen some posts where people are trying rally fellow customers to contact the call centers, which is fine.  We are monitoring the (expected) increase in traffic to our call centers.  Please be cordial to the folks you speak to on the phone and/or over chat.

So If I'm reading between the lines properly here, all of the negative feedback in the world will do us no good. Awesome.

The whole "we're not killing it yet guys" thing doesn't matter and isn't a satisfactory answer. Yes, I still have access today and will for quite some time because I happen to be lucky enough through work. That doesn't help me in the future. Say I get a new job, what then? Even if I don't, when my current subscription runs out I'm again out of luck.

Side note - I have nothing against CSG staff, but the notation "They are not Microsoft Employees and do not speak for or officially represent Microsoft" makes me nervous in a situation like this.

Don't retire TechNet!

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Count me in with the rest on saying this is a bad, bad, bad idea!

I can't count the number of times I have spent hours at home setting up labs in order to persuade managers to go with a new MS tech as compared to the freeware being foisted to us in every direction. 

Every single new tech we have hired in the past my first advice to them was to get a TechNet subscription and MS Press books to learn the tech.

I have set up a lab to do the exact same thing to learn the tech myself.  If you want to timebomb the keys, then do that.  Let current subscribers have to log in and get new keys, but pulling this resource for the professionals out here is plain stupid.

This fall I was going to set up the MS BI stack in order to persuade our managers it was time to get it together and buy the upgrades to get us where we needed to go.

With this announcement it looks like it's not going to happen, and they might as well grab MySQL and a Linux box.

With this move you have alienated every single MS professional, and you better believe the next generation that is coming up the ranks will be pushing and demonstrating open source because they can't afford the time and money it takes to deploy and maintain MS products.

If there's a better plan in the works, wouldn't it make more sense to announce it before killing TechNet?  There's no better teacher than experience, and every professional here will tell you that.  You even have MVP's yelling.

Is this really worth it?

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:05 PM
  • Count me in with the rest on saying this is a bad, bad, bad idea!

I can't count the number of times I have spent hours at home setting up labs in order to persuade managers to go with a new MS tech as compared to the freeware being foisted to us in every direction. 

Every single new tech we have hired in the past my first advice to them was to get a TechNet subscription and MS Press books to learn the tech.

I have set up a lab to do the exact same thing to learn the tech myself.  If you want to timebomb the keys, then do that.  Let current subscribers have to log in and get new keys, but pulling this resource for the professionals out here is plain stupid.

This fall I was going to set up the MS BI stack in order to persuade our managers it was time to get it together and buy the upgrades to get us where we needed to go.

With this announcement it looks like it's not going to happen, and they might as well grab MySQL and a Linux box.

With this move you have alienated every single MS professional, and you better believe the next generation that is coming up the ranks will be pushing and demonstrating open source because they can't afford the time and money it takes to deploy and maintain MS products.

If there's a better plan in the works, wouldn't it make more sense to announce it before killing TechNet?  There's no better teacher than experience, and every professional here will tell you that.  You even have MVP's yelling.

Is this really worth it?

Timebombed keys would be a nuisance, but in the overall scheme of things it's a far superior answer to killing off our technical resources.

MS really do seem to hate the resellers these days.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 6:49 PM
  • Thanks Mike, really appreciated. In regards to the EULA, I fully expect them to say keys after July 2012 changes would be deactivated/invalid, and keys that were from the old EULA would remain valid. From a legal perspective, this is how it should be I suppose. Cheers for your help Mike :)
    Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:12 PM
  • Mike,

Your thread has avoided the biggest answer - what will we do as a replacement? I for one do not want quotes about MSDN licenses and virtual labs.

The first official response has avoided answering any of our concerns. Excellent.

MS have shown us no respect, so I do not see why people here would do likewise.

We are running server environments here, not desktops. Even a year till expiration is not enough time for planning. Resetting license keys and/or rebuilding servers is not effective due to the knock on effects in a network. Would you be happy if you could not access your work documents because of server rebuilds? No. If I demonstrate a tech to my bosses, they would not be happy if I told them I have to postpone a demo thanks to your technet expiration and now time-limited keys.

That should read "It is hardly fair to punish everyone at the result of a select few". Punishing the bad people (As the above reads) would be fair!

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 7:47 PM

Edit: Says he tries to include link to faq in every post.  fails on that post. http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427 <facepalm>

btw, yes, I am a CSG :)  I do however own this forum, and I have been asked to politely reply to people here through this announcement on behalf of the TechNet Subscriptions team.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike do you think we are idiots? I find it insulting that you would basically say "quite whining, it is not ending tomorrow" The problem isn't that it is ending tomorrow or the two months from now. The problem is that it IS ending someday. Just referring us to the FAQ over and over, don't you think pretty much everybody that has posted here has read it? Which would be why everyone is so mad. You need to tell the fools who made this decision to reconsider. I assume they hang around the same people who removed the start botton/menu, metro UI on server 2012 and metro UI with keyboard mouse. I am getting pretty tired of Microsoft not listening/giving the shaft to the people that support them the most.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Agree with the above. Except Microsoft stated with the start menu button that nobody uses that (like they say they see a shift to people using free resources), and they went back on that. But they learnt the hard way and lost money/face in doing so.

But, guys - I for one work for a gold partner and we are too scared to not use a Microsoft-solution where one exists, so it's hard to promote other technologies.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:51 PM
  • Discontinuation of Tech Net is really a deeply flawed idea. 

Who is making these decisions?  Have they ever sold any Microsoft Product, or tried to support their families doing free-lance tech support.  My little business is really screwed every way to Sunday by this decision. 

I maintain a full blown AD windows 2008R2 with Exchange 2010, and it enables me to model many network configurations as well as help with Microsoft certification study prep. 

The network took me in between customer service work and visits about three weeks to put up not to mention the SSL I had to buy which was about $400ish dollars.   I have a stable and operational test network that you just cannot tear down and put backup in a moment’s notice.  What Microsoft proposes with the free experience is counterproductive to testing, trouble shooting, and certification study.  I use this network for all three things. 

You have to have a long term operational network in-order to keep current and make changes to an evolving network.  What Microsoft proposes is building static networks, and that will not help anybody in the field.  Static networks work almost always out of the box.  You need to have time to try configurations and screw them up and learn to fix them and my network serves the purpose.  The Microsoft free experience is not going to facilitate hands on learning.

When a customer has an issue, I come back to the network and figure out how to fix it or make it work. Often, the fix I come back with has a sales revenue generation for both me and Microsoft.  When I make a sale so does Microsoft 90% of the time.

For instance, my real-estate customer has common computers for use in their public space, and they are always getting mucked up with spyware.  Thanks to my TechNet subscription, I was able to do some testing and figured out how to use windows 8 hyper-V and windows 7 to quickly roll back to the original configuration.  The customer bought three of these systems at roughly $225.00 per OSX (times) 6 OS’s a combination of windows 8 and 7 that comes to about $1,350. Microsoft did not have to work for that, but just provide the TechNet.  I did the work. 

I believe Microsoft is missing the point.  The TechNet subscribers are really the “un-seen” sales force.  We run the OS’s to sell solutions, and then take these solutions to our customers, our bosses, and stake holders.

The tech that works in a very large environment may have the opportunity to sell his boss on an idea for the infrastructure, but he/she will not do that unless they are very sure it will work and can adequately explain it. That is where TechNet comes into play.  I have never had a Microsoft salesman knock on my door or call me on the phone asking about my needs.   

I am not sure how many TechNet subscribers there are, but if you take my real-estate job, and took that number multiplied by the number of TechNet users, as an average, plus the TechNet subscription price I wonder what that number would be.  

This TechNet subscription means a lot to people. Please do not redirect people back to FAQ that is an ignorant response to a very serious issue.

Rick Arnold Arnoldconsult, MCP

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 8:53 PM
  • Agree with all of the above.  

I work for one of the largest banks in the U.S. and it's about monthly that my access to TechNet has resulted in a license sale for Microsoft.  As you can imagine almost all of these are in the SQL Server family.  

A 180 day trial is just not the same as having a perpetual test lab with long running databases.  I can't imagine rebuilding my lab from scratch every 180 days.  And even with my employer's deep pockets they won't pay $6,000 for my MSDN subscription.

I don't know what to do from here.  I guess I'll replace my current TechNet lab with cheaper alternatives.  MySQL?  RedHat?  

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Just ran across this, here's the petition.

https://www.change.org/petitions/microsoft-corporation-create-an-affordable-msdn-subscription-comparable-to-technet#share

Mike,

Thanks for coming in here with the heat.  We know you are the messenger, just take our message back.

Thanks.

Tuesday, July 02, 2013 9:52 PM
  • The email says the reason is most people use the 30 – 180 trial products when doing evaluations, not the TechNet products.  I think this might be B.S. and it’s more because they can make more money by dropping it.  Maybe this is to stop those people that are abusing TechNet and using the software in production or across all their home machines etc.?  Dropping TechNet will now force a lot of people to pay a lot more for their software (both those abusing TechNet and those using it as it was intended).

The email also directs you to MSDN as an alternative….please get your hand off it Microsoft, like others on here have said, it’s not a real alternative as the cost is far too high for a lot of people.  To make things worse for a lot of people, Microsoft charges way higher for the same online products in different countries (not just TechNet, MSDN but a lot of their products).

TechNet – US

$199 Standard Retail ($149 Renewal)

TechNet – Australia

$337 Standard Retail ($260 Renewal)

Now compare that with MSDN:

Visual Studio with MSDN - US

$6119 new subscription ($2569 renewal)

Visual Studio with MSDN - Australia

$9755 new subscription ($4096 renewal)

So not only a big difference in price between countries, but a huge price difference in the products.

I’m willing to pay more for my TechNet subscription but there is no way in hell I can afford to be paying close to $10k for a subscription.

Regards,
    Mark

• Edited by mpicker Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:29 AM spelling
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:19 AM
  • Please show some respect to Mike guys, it certainly wasn't his idea to discontinue TechNet, after all this is his forum/job so please remember that guys. He is only the messenger here. :)
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:25 AM
  • I’m willing to pay more for my TechNet subscription but there is no way in hell I can afford to be paying close to $10k for a subscription.

Yes I would be willing to pay more but really I think it should actually be free for us! I am sure that most people posting here have some MS cert.. if not a partnership or such like. MS quote "no one single reason" but I am sure piracy must be the biggest as nothing else makes any sense. 

Someone in MS said why are we giving all this software away for free we need to can it (I don't think our subscriptions are a drop in the ocean for MS) .. as usual with most large corps the decision is made by an exec that knows nothing!

MS could easily stop any piracy based on TN .. I, as many stated here have a long running lab .. built on 2003 upgraded to 2008 then 2008R2 .. Exchange through 5 - 2010 .. SMS to SCCM ..now with the GP changes in 2012 I have just started with that.. JUST LIKE MOST OF OF MY CLIENTS .. you can not reproduce that  in a 180 EVAL!! 

Another 2 cents!! 

Jason

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 6:40 AM
  • Hi Mike

Talk about being in the firing line. Hope they have issued you with a flak jacket (or one of the suits bomb disposal guys wear).

I have a different question - Does Microsoft plan to keep adding new software to the Technet site during the year or so before it is retired or is what is on there all we can expect to be available. I have just renewed my subscription last Saturday and it was in anticipation of the releases of Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 after watching the Teched videos.

Also - of course - would like to say that I was disappointed by the announcement - nuff said

Regards

John

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 11:26 AM
  • John, I called the number yesterday and was told that they will provide all software released in the subscription time, that is to say server 2012 r2, 8.1, sql 2014, SC2012 R2 and such assuming you renew pre deadline
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 11:41 AM
  • The email says the reason is most people use the 30 – 180 trial products when doing evaluations, not the TechNet products.  I think this might be B.S.

I wonder what they base those stats on. I bet they don't take into account that 1) while I've only downloaded the Windows Server 2012 ISO once, that doesn't mean I've only used it once. In fact I've used mine at least half a dozen times thus far. 2) A couple of months back MS offered a competition entry for people reviewing Windows Server 2012 (and a couple of other new apps/services). I figured I might as well enter, who doesn't like free stuff after all, and I'd already been running in labs and production for several months. In order to enter you HAD to download the trial version of the software, there was no option to say "it's fine, I've already got several copies!". So if they count things like that what's the bet that nicely skews the numbers.

Finally I'd definitely second the calls for showing respect towards Mike, it's not his fault this has been done and I feel sorry for him being stuck playing piggy in the middle passing feedback back for forth. He can only respond with the information he's given from on high, so it's hardly his fault if we don't necessarily like the feedback that he has to provide.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:19 PM
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.  Thats great news (best we can expect).

Hope they come up with an alternative - Like the idea floated of timebombed software where you can go to the technet website to get a new key to renew the software. May not stop the idiots who are using the licences in businesses but would stop those idiots selling the keys on ebay etc and certainly make it a pain for businesses misusing the licences. Also implements a model that Microsoft would like to put in place, annual subscriptions for software

Come on Microsoft - we could be their guinea pigs.

Regards

John

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 12:27 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom,
    I have confirmed the situation!

So, first, some preambles and caveats: I actually don’t have knowledge of your particular subscription (I can’t get that info from the forums), and here on the forums I have to balance between trying to answer your question about your subscription, without being misinterpreted by others as my feedback applying specifically to theirs (example: your expiration date is unique to you, and we don't want others to think i'm talking about their subscriptions).  So I'm going to speak generally so we don't get any streams crossed (this is a ghostbusters movie reference).

All TechNet subscribers are bound by the EULA or Subscriber Agreement that was in effect when the subscription was last purchased or renewed.   This should come as no surprise!

The TechNet EULA prior to July 2012 is posted here for your reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/jj215854.aspx (note: this is a hard link and is it might stop working in the future. If you're coming here well after I'm typing these words this link may not work).  The current TechNet Subscription license agreement is linked in this section: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx#usage (note: save caveat for this link too).   The EULA that applies to you is the one that was in effect when you last renewed or purchased your subscription. 

We have always been very clear that the TechNet Subscription is for product evaluation use only.  We include a list of the types of activities that are licensed under TechNet in our FAQ here: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427#usage

ok on to other posts and threads in this forum today!  <puts flak jacket on> :)

Mike

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 1:33 PM
  • Hi Mike

Talk about being in the firing line. Hope they have issued you with a flak jacket (or one of the suits bomb disposal guys wear).

I have a different question - Does Microsoft plan to keep adding new software to the Technet site during the year or so before it is retired or is what is on there all we can expect to be available. I have just renewed my subscription last Saturday and it was in anticipation of the releases of Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2 after watching the Teched videos.

Also - of course - would like to say that I was disappointed by the announcement - nuff said

Regards

John

John,

Yes.  Active TechNet Subscriptions will continue just like they have been.  New software and keys will be made available as they're released to active Subscribers.

Thanks for the concern :)

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 1:46 PM
  • Thanks Mike for the clarification! Greatly appreciated - your help is as always outstanding and it will be a shame when this forum goes in a years time. :)

So just to confirm basically my old keys (from a subscription from 2009) aren't going to be stopped/banned or anything?

Thanks as always,

Tom.

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Tom,

ah now I'm going to have to take 3 more days to get a response :)

As I indicated with my many preambles and caveats in the previous response there are a lot of concerns about crafting clear responses to specific questions from individuals on the forums.   So you might want to reach out to me individually (<puts on another flak jacket layer>) by clicking the 'site feedback' link on the TN Subscriptions homepage.

What I believe to be true is that there are no current plans to do that, and what I  know to be true is that I haven't heard any mention of that and it would be a complete surprise to me if that were to happen.  

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:24 PM
  • Thanks Mike very good of you, it'd be great if you could just check this for me but if you're too busy then I completely understand. :)
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 2:50 PM
  • Tom

I just wrote back to you from an email alias here at Microsoft.  Check your junk folder if you dont see it.

Thanks,
    Mike

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 3:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom,

So, first, some preambles and caveats: I actually don’t have knowledge of your particular subscription (I can’t get that info from the forums), and here on the forums I have to balance between trying to answer your question about your subscription, without being misinterpreted by others as my feedback applying specifically to theirs (example: your expiration date is unique to you, and we don't want others to think i'm talking about their subscriptions).  So I'm going to speak generally so we don't get any streams crossed (this is a ghostbusters movie reference).

All TechNet subscribers are bound by the EULA or Subscriber Agreement that was in effect when the subscription was last purchased or renewed.   This should come as no surprise!

The TechNet EULA prior to July 2012 is posted here for your reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/jj215854.aspx (note: this is a hard link and is it might stop working in the future. If you're coming here well after I'm typing these words this link may not work).  The current TechNet Subscription license agreement is linked in this section: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427.aspx#usage (note: save caveat for this link too).   The EULA that applies to you is the one that was in effect when you last renewed or purchased your subscription. 

We have always been very clear that the TechNet Subscription is for product evaluation use only.  We include a list of the types of activities that are licensed under TechNet in our FAQ here: http://technet.microsoft.com/subscriptions/ms772427#usage

Mike

So correct me if I am wrong, But the way I read it is when I renewed back in February ALL MY KEYS now fall into the new EULA even the ones I had before July 2012. Is this correct? If that is the case then when February comes back around I will not be able to renew and my keys will no longer work.  IS THIS CORRECT?? 
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:13 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom,

Mike

So correct me if I am wrong, But the way I read it is when I renewed back in February ALL MY KEYS now fall into the new EULA even the ones I had before July 2012. Is this correct? If that is the case then when February comes back around I will not be able to renew and my keys will no longer work.  IS THIS CORRECT??
    I think its actually worse - I am far from a lawyer but the way I read the FAQ, it would appear that not only will our keys not work, but we will have a contractual and legal obligation to uninstall/decommission any existing technet lab environment...so on the day after the program goes dark, any Technet based environment would technically be grounds for MS to take legal action (though I doubt they would, but then again, I doubted they would ever kill technet subscription)

• Edited by agreer Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:48 PM Typo
    Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:47 PM
  • BTW make sure you tweet your displeasure with Microsoft's decision to kill Technet, On Microsoft's  Technet Twitter account. It is @technet  Twitter Page

Wednesday, July 03, 2013 5:56 PM
  • And here is the Germany Petition against ending Technet :

http://www.change.org/de/Petitionen/microsoft-deutschland-gmbh-konrad-zuse-str-1-85716-unterschlei%C3%9Fheim-nein-zur-abschaffung-des-technet-abonnement

This petition is from me. Its time to say: "Microsoft ... your way is a great fault "

Every vote is counting. A copy of every vote goes directly to : kunden@microsoft.com . This is the German Support Email Address in Munich , Germany.

Greets Thomas from Germany

Monday, July 08, 2013 3:01 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks,

Tom.

Tom,

Mike

I think its actually worse - I am far from a lawyer but the way I read the FAQ, it would appear that not only will our keys not work, but we will have a contractual and legal obligation to uninstall/decommission any existing technet lab environment...so on the day after the program goes dark, any Technet based environment would technically be grounds for MS to take legal action (though I doubt they would, but then again, I doubted they would ever kill technet subscription)

Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue.

Privacy Statement 
    You are now chatting with 'Sam'.

JASON THOMPSON: Hi

Sam: Hello and welcome to the TechNet Online Concierge.  How may I assist you today?

JASON THOMPSON: Can you explain renewal? My subscription expires Feb 2014 but as you are discontinuing can I renew before end of august and have service until feb 2015?

Sam: Thanks for your inquiry. Jason. No, I am afraid not. Renewals made before two months ahead of expiry will start and run concurrently rather than consecutively.

JASON THOMPSON: So only option would be to 'renew' and service till August 2014?

Sam: Yes.

JASON THOMPSON: OK, thanks (well you not MS!!) .. Is there any more info on what will happen to currently licensed products when plug is pulled?? i.e. would we still be able to activate.. guessing all activated products would still work I hope?

Sam: Yes, Microsoft will not block the software you've activated. But from licensing thought, you cannot use the TechNet software without an activate subscription.

JASON THOMPSON: Thanks.. yes this is what is being said on forums / bloggs.. Well just gonna have to wait and see I suppose .. Any chance you can tell them to re-think??? :) .. Many of have labs set up over years .. up dated, domain level raised etc. etc. and this is gonna realy hurt us MS certified non selling keys on ebay etc.HARD... Just joking about getting the to re-think but do you post these chats somewhere..?

Sam: I would like to help, however, I would rather suggest that you provide the feedback to your local TechNet service center. They may take your suggestion over the phone quickly.

JASON THOMPSON: OK, thanks Sam. CU

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 6:05 PM
  • I really cant believe Microsoft are doing this, I have been TechNet subscriber for over 15 years and have founded invaluable during that time. I have a permanent lab setup at home where I test and evaluate all new versions of software produced by Microsoft, so that I can speak with authority on these products when I'm consulting with my customers. Taking this capability away from me will only backfire on Microsoft as I will lose that ability to recommend Microsoft products. And when you consider that my recommendations in the last 20 years has led to millions upon millions of dollars in licensing for Microsoft it just doesn't make sense for Microsoft to retire TechNet!

I appreciate that one can always download evaluation copies, however when you start getting into the complexities of enterprise environments having to set up evaluation centres every 180 days is not an option as it will take up far too much time.

Microsoft please re-evaluate your decision to retire TechNet !!

Very disappointing !!!

Alistair<object height="1" id="plugin0" style=";z-index:1000;" type="application/x-dgnria" width="1"><param name="tabId" value="{B1B9F7E1-D2B3-4448-A176-67DB2F3EE9F2}" /> Microsoft </object>

Alistair

Friday, July 19, 2013 9:23 AM
  • Keep in mind that you cannot download evaluation copies of older versions which is what is required to simulate real customer environments.  The evaluation program just will not work for us consultants.  We will have to begin recommending other products as competitors value our partnership and fill the void left by Microsoft.
    Thursday, August 15, 2013 2:22 AM
  • Microsoft - Please listen to the feedback from your technical community!  This is a really wrong-headed move.  If you're worried about software piracy, limit subscriptions to MCP's only.  Don't kill the entire program!

-jl-

Wednesday, August 28, 2013 1:12 AM
  • I just bought a new technet subscription from MS online via the technet web site today, 8/30/13, after being refused by MS customer support, CDW and Provantage. I thought this news might save others from wasting a few hours on this like I just went through. 

I retried to renew my technet subscription that expires on 10/15/13 but the web site refused to allow it so I called customer service and they refused as well. I ask the rep if I could buy a new subscription and he said no, they are no longer available. I tried buying subscriptions from Provantage and CDW and both took my order and then canceled it saying MS would not let them sell subscriptions any longer.

I decided to try buying a new subscription directly from MS through the Technet page and it worked with out a hitch. I had to pay 199$ for a new subscription vs 149$ for the renewal, but I am happy to have technet for another year.

Friday, August 30, 2013 8:09 PM
  • I renewed my suscription some days ago and its going to expire on 2014. 

However, I'm worried about this I saw in the FAQ:

The TechNet benefits portal and the subscriber downloads page will remain available for non-Volume Licensing subscribers through September 30, 2014.

I have a Technet Professional Retail Sub. I'm not a VL-subscriber. Maybe my english is not working for me today but, as far as I can understand, does that means I'm not going to be able to access my download and product key benefits after the 30th? 

If that's true, then I will have to download all the software I use on my lab and save it to physical media and print the keys before the 30th? Too bad, I hate to have TechNet software on physical media beyond the setup phase on my tests... 

I don't really understand what the heck are you trying to do with this decision, Microsoft. But for consultants like me and some of my customers, you're really sending a BAD MESSAGE. 

Please reconsider this bad decision....

Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:39 AM
  • Nevermind. I don't really get where I got that the susbscriber downloads will remain available till september 30, 2013.... instead of the actual and true date, september 30, 2014.

Too much work, too little sleep...

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 10:20 AM
  • I was about to ask and clarify Ramloa :)  Time for more sleep!

Mike

Tuesday, September 03, 2013 4:47 PM
  • This is going to go down as the one of the dumbest business decisions ever made.

This is forcing many Microsoft engineers to take a hard look at their lab environments and look at alternatives.   Many of these alternatives are non-Microsoft.

Many on my own team have started using Linux variants or Apple products.    You can guess what kind of solutions they're recommending to commercial clients, now.

Personally, I've sold tens of millions of dollars of Microsoft solutions in the past 20 years based on lab configurations I've tried, first, with Technet software.

As far as the "cloud" lab machines or 180 day trial software, that's just not enough to test enterprise solutions.  MSDN is way too expensive, especially since most companies are unwilling to pay for training or "proof of concept" software.   I've paid for Technet out of my own pocket.

Ending Technet eliminates the ability of Microsoft's real sales force to sell products.  

Maybe that Apple stock valuation isn't as inflated as we think it is. . .

Sean Toomey

Thursday, August 07, 2014 3:20 PM