none
Step by Step instuctions on how to downgrade Server 2012 STD OEM to 2008 R2 STD OEM

Question

• I currently have MS Windows Sever 2012 STD purchased from Dell as a OEM, i also have media and a licesne key for a previous version MS Windows Server 2008 R2 STD , also purchased from Dell as an OEM. I have spoken to and confirmed that i can do a downgrade, but i can't find any steps as how to do so. I keep finding links that refer me to my downgrade rights. What i am curious to know is what exactly do i need to do.

Please if anyone can give me a step by step guide i would be appreciative. 

Thursday, March 13, 2014 7:34 PM

Answers

• Hi, You can just wipe and re-install. For an OEM it's a bit more complex, as you need ta OEM media kit for the version you want to install. Usually you could do it with your reseller if you don't have a media kit.

See that webpage; http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=RVBazeu0qft

The media and key used to perform the downgrade must be from the same channel (example: retail, OEM, or VL).

Regards, Philippe

Friday, March 14, 2014 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, Windows Server 2012 Standard edition can be downgrade to any prior version of Standard and Enterprise or Essentials editions. For more detailed information, please refer to the links below:
    Understanding downgrade rights
    In addition, you can refer to the similar thread below:
    Windows server 2012 standard downgrade to 2008 R2 STD
    Best regards,
    Susie

Friday, March 14, 2014 9:02 AM
  • Thank you for your reply,

I have looked at the downgrade rights and the previous post, and it seems that both are telling me yes i can do it, what I am looking for is basicly what is the first step.

Do i need to wipe the drive and install, if so which product key do i need to use, 

or do i need to call activation center first and explain.

or just install over current version.

this is what im curious about, i don't want to do it one way to find out that i am doing it wrong.

thanks again

Friday, March 14, 2014 1:51 PM
  • Hi, You can just wipe and re-install. For an OEM it's a bit more complex, as you need ta OEM media kit for the version you want to install. Usually you could do it with your reseller if you don't have a media kit.

See that webpage; http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/downgrade_rights.aspx#fbid=RVBazeu0qft

The media and key used to perform the downgrade must be from the same channel (example: retail, OEM, or VL).

Regards, Philippe

Friday, March 14, 2014 2:14 PM
  • Thanks for the clarity, I have a OEM media & Key for the previous version. 
    Friday, March 14, 2014 3:34 PM