none
installation issue

Question

• Hi,

Hope someone here can help with this...

We have Small Business Server 2011 with Premium AddOns which includes SQL Server 2008. SQL Server runs fine and I can access it from my workstation with Management Studio. But I would like to use Integration Services. The Server reports that integration services 10.0 is installed.

When I try to install Integration Services (or Business Intelligence) on my workstation (in order to create SSIS packages in VS 2010 on my machine), and I use the same disks that were used to install Small Business Server (and SQL Server) on the server I'm getting this error: "Operating system supported for edition - failed." The accompanying exception is:

This SQL Server edition is not supported on this operating system. See SQL Server Books Online for information about supported operating systems for SQL Small Business Server edition.

My workstation operating system is Windows 7. 32 bit. I have VS 2010 on my machine.

Is this exception actually telling me that a client of the version of SQL Server 2008 that is part of the Small Business Premium package cannot create Integration packages on a machine that runs Windows 7? Or is there another way of installing Integration Services on the client?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:54 PM

Answers

• Your installation media has the necessary client software.

BIDS 2008 sometimes has a problem where it does not successfully integrate with VS2008. Try these steps in sequence.

1. Uninstall all of these if you already have them installed in your environment:
      - Visual Studio 2008
      - BIDS 2008 / 2008 R2
      - Team Explorer 2008
    2. Install Visual Studio 2008
    3. Install Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1
      http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10986
    4. Install BIDS from your SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2 installation media
    • Marked as answer by SteveAltman Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:16 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:04 PM

All replies

• SBS 2011 is a 64 bit edition, but you should be able to install the BIDS designer plugins for VS 2008. VS 2008 is used for designing SSIS packages for SQL Server 2008.

Instead of installing trying to install Integration Services, which is 64 bit, there should be an option to install the Business Intelligence designers, which are 32 bit. This will install a minimal version of VS2008 along with the plugins needed to design SSIS packages for SQL Server 2008.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:10 PM
  • The issue I guess is in you using Small Business Server 2011 SQL Server installation on Win 7

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:12 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I've tried install Business Intelligence. What it does is create a limited version of VS 2008 on the machine, which is activated when you click Business Intelligence. At that point you can try to create a SSIS package, but the initial .dtsx design page appears with the following:

Microsoft Visual Studio is unable to load this document: To design Integration Services packages in Business Intelligence Development Studio, Integration Services has be installed by one these editions of SQL Server 2008: Standard, Enterprise, Developer, or Evaluation. To install Integration Services, run SQL Server Setup and select Integration Services.

BTW, the problem does seem to be the 64 bit issue. I tried all this under another 32 bit machine (running XP) and ran into the same errors, so it looks like Windows 7 isn't the problem.

I suppose there's a certain logic here. If the server is running a 64 bit version of SQL Server, perhaps you must have a 64 bit version of Integration services to create packages for that server. I assume, then, that packages created on a 32 bit machine won't run on 64 bit SQL Server. Do you know if this accurate?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:48 PM
  • All the developer tools are 32 bit only.

The issue is in not having the SSIS installed, and you cannot install it because the installation media does not have it.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:21 PM
  • Hi,

Okay, understood. Do you know of a place where I can get installation media that has the client installation of SSIS to be run on a Windows 7 machine? Or an XP machine if necessary? Because the disks that I currently have don't provide for that installation, and these are the only disks that have come with SBS 2011. Do I have to contact Microsoft directly to get the installation disks? I've searched, and it doesn't seem to be something that I can download from the web.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:47 PM
  • SQL Server 2012 a Developer Edition can be purchased from Amazon or a reseller in your area, it will install on Win 7 Pro but not XP, on the web there is 180 days evaluation version http://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=29066

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:01 PM
  • Your installation media has the necessary client software.

BIDS 2008 sometimes has a problem where it does not successfully integrate with VS2008. Try these steps in sequence.

1. Uninstall all of these if you already have them installed in your environment:
      - Visual Studio 2008
      - BIDS 2008 / 2008 R2
      - Team Explorer 2008
    2. Install Visual Studio 2008
    3. Install Visual Studio 2008 Service Pack 1
      http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=10986
    4. Install BIDS from your SQL Server 2008 / 2008 R2 installation media
    • Marked as answer by SteveAltman Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:16 PM
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:04 PM
  • Hi Arthur,

Hi. Thanks for the response. Just so I understand what you're suggesting...

I should buy SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition and install it on my machine. It will allow me to create Integration packages in Visual Studio 2010, which is the version that I currently have. And I will be able to run the created packages against the SQL Server 2008 that is included in Small Business Server 2011.

Is this correct?

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:22 PM
  • Hi Steve,

VS 2010 will be used only to author SSIS 2012 version of IS projects.

To target SSIS 2008 you need SQL Server 2008.

SQL Server 2012 is supported on SBS 2011 64 bit

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:39 PM
  • Hi,

I understand what you're suggesting. But I doubt there's VS 2008 installation disks here, so I would have to track them down.

Given the contradictory advice I've gotten here I'm not quite sure what to do. In any case, however, I appreciate your help.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:44 PM
  • It depends what version you use in production. And you cannot use Dev for production, only for development.

So you can buy the SQL Server 2008 which comes with BIDS.

Like I said, if you deploy to prod you need the Standard Edition license at the very minimum.

Arthur My Blog

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 8:56 PM
  • Hi,

I don't want to sound obtuse but although "SQL Server 2012 is supported on SBS 2011 64 bit" (we were not given that information by Microsoft when we upgraded our SBS; they insisted that the "Premium Add-on" was SQL Server 2008, not 2012. Were they misinforming us?) what we have here is SBS Server 2011 Premium with SQL Server 2008. So, again, what I'm really asking is how to create SSIS packages for that circumstance. I use VS (2010 currently) every day of my life. We probably won't be upgrading to 2013 until January, but even then, I have to create packages that target SQL Server 2008 that is running in an SBS 2011 Server. Which is why I was trying ( and failing) to install the appropriate (2008) SQL Server client on my machine. Will buying SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition help in this circumstance.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:09 PM
  • >>  Will buying SQL Server 2012 Developer Edition help in this circumstance.

No.

In your case you will need an installation of VS2008 with the BIDs plug-ins in order to create SSIS packages for SQL 2008. Normally you should be able to install this from the SBS media. Given the problems you've encountered I suggested you try the workaround I mentioned above.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:30 PM
  • Hi Jim,

Okay, I've got it. The installation media does have the necessary client software. You just have to get it in an rather unintuitive way.

Here's what one has to do in order to install the appropriate Integration Services from SBS disks:

When you run the install it initially places a set of files (Setup Support Files) on your machine. Then the machine is tested in regards to "Setup Support Rules" to see if it validates. Next (and this is where I was making the "mistake") there's a screen which asks if you wish to install a "free edition" - Evaluation, Express or Express with Advanced Services OR enter a product key. Since I have a valid product key I thought I should enter it. Seemed reasonable.

Wrong! You have to indicate you want to install an Evaluation copy. Everything is installed appropriately. No errors.

It must be that the product key - which by the way - says "SQL Svr for Small Bus 2008 R2" - is always associated with the installation of the server components - whether you've chosen to install the server components or not. And that's why I was getting the error that "This SQL Server edition is not supported on this operating system."

Not using the product key allowed the installation of the client tools.

Of course, I guess that means that this installation expires in 180 days - although there's been no obvious indication of that - but I'll cross that bridge (and talk to Microsoft directly) when I come to it.

Thanks again for your help.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:16 PM
  • >>Of course, I guess that means that this installation expires in 180 days - although there's been no obvious indication of that - but I'll cross that bridge (and talk to Microsoft directly) when I come to it.

Good to hear you got it working! Fortunately the BIDS tools do not expire like the services do.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:30 PM