none
Re-install DPM 2012

Question

• After a failed attempt at upgrading DPM 2012 to SP1, the server is stuck with a non-working DPM 2012.

I have tried to:

1. Restore DPM database (from backup before upgrade)

2. Upgrade to SP1 Again (fails)

3. Uninstall DPM 2012 (fails)

4. Run the Fix-it for unstalling DPM 2012. That actually removed it from Programs, but when I ran the installer Again, it failed due to existing installation.

5. Finally removed DPM manually (folders, registry) and SQL server (and dpm databases), restart.

Generally it appears that DPM has been removed, but when running the installer (either DPM2012, DPM2012SP1 or DPM2012R2) it fails with the error "The configuration data for this product is corrupt" ID 814: This actions is only valid for produts that are currently installed".

How to proceed from here?!

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 6:58 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Only Three options come to mind.

1) See if this is different from what you already tried.

2) Download process monitor from here and run it while trying to re-install DPM and see if you can detect any registry or files that installer is detecting that exist before the error and delete them.

3) Re-install the Operating System, re-install DPM and restore database to get you back in production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only Three options come to mind.

1) See if this is different from what you already tried.

2) Download process monitor from here and run it while trying to re-install DPM and see if you can detect any registry or files that installer is detecting that exist before the error and delete them.

3) Re-install the Operating System, re-install DPM and restore database to get you back in production.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 08, 2014 8:43 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for the suggestions

Ad 1) I already tried the tool, but with no luck.

Ad 2) I have tried that now, but no real clues.

Ad 3) I fear it will come to this...

I am filtering process setup.exe and setupdpm.exe, but no real great clues yet.

Do you have suggestions for no. 2?

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 4:31 AM
  • I guess I will need to go for option three...

I am disappointed that there is no better clean up Tool for DPM installations.

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

can you verify that SQL was uninstalled completely?

Pls check this:

http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2010/10/25/fun-with-software-uninstalling-sql-server-2008-r2-evaluation-edition.aspx

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Wednesday, July 09, 2014 9:44 AM
  • Hi,

I am not sure your article on trial SQL relates that well. But I have removed all SQL components and DPM databases.

I suspect it relates to a registry entry for DPM or the like. But since there is no Tool, I have given up on finding those settings.

Thursday, July 10, 2014 5:17 PM
  • HI,

in our case it wasn't a Trial, either but the behavior was exact the same that was described in the article.

AND we had we had exact the same issue when upgrading to SP1 - thats why I posted that link.

We traced the problem and found out it was the mentioned SQL problem even though it was no trial...

regards

My postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confer no rights

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:37 PM